v-moda to release new Vibe Duo earbuds with mic AND button

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by greenlander, Sep 1, 2007.

1. greenlander macrumors member

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97253

The Vibe Duos never should have been released without these.

Though I guess mother mobile phone owners might want them that way.

Either way, this is good news.

2. linshiwen macrumors member

EXCELLENT news, thank you for posting this.

I was going to buy the Vibe Duos, but then I found out there was no control on the mic.... man, who dropped the ball on that one?

3. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

This has been known for while but this confirms it, GOOD FIND

4. greenlander thread starter macrumors member

Well, according to the article - vmoda says it was intentional... that they released the duos sans button because they wanted it to be "universally" appealing.

Personally, I'm confident that is nonsense. It's well known that Apple rushed them to get the vibe duos out and imposed a deadline they couldn't break. So, out came the dumbed down duos...

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Any update on availability? I am planning on getting these.

6. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Thanks, but this thread is about the forthcoming Vibe Duo Control. That's what I'm asking about. And I want to use my Apple iPhone coupon, not pay out $146 cash to cannibalize my existing headset (which I wouldn't use anyway since they went through the wash).

8. paulsmith macrumors newbie

Anyone see the updated duos in a store yet? These have been delayed for a while. They had originally told me August...and then September. However, theres only so many days left in the month... any updates? I really wish there was a comparable alternative with an answer button...

sigh.

9. sJv macrumors regular

There is a better solution:
    Shure SE110 + MPA. $99 + $39. Reviews show that the SE110 is very similar sonically to the SE210, but a little bigger. Not sure how available the MPA is in Apple stores, though.

-steve

10. paulsmith macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice Steve. Is this the setup you're using? I had been hesitant to go with the MPA because of various reports of cable clutter, and the mic being at the wrong place. If you have this setup, can you comment on those two issues? Thanks so much in advance!

11. sJv macrumors regular

Actually, I don't have this setup, but I may buy it when I go to the Apple store. I am currently using Koss Port-a-pro's that I grafted the iPhone earbud cables, to, or Etymotics with an adapter cable for noisy environments (no mic or control button, though).

The SE series has a modular cable design so the MPA shouldn't have too much cable clutter. The mic isn't in as good a place as the iPhone cable, but Shure has good mic technology, so maybe it works ok? From an audiophile perspective, Shure's should be much better than V-Moda for about the same price (assuming V-Moda prices their Duo Control at around $130-$140).

I plan to post a report if I can find this combo in the Apple store when I visit there in the next few days.

-steve

12. Jocko macrumors member

I looked into this. Unfortunately the SE's still have an 18" cord. So if you plugged that into their adapter and let it just hang, the microphone would be near your belly button. So you have to take the microphone, pull it up towards your head and clip it on your shirt. So now you have an extra 18" of wire hanging there and a clip on your shirt. I know some people don't mind, but its unappealing enough to me that I'm holding out for a better solution.

13. NightStorm macrumors 68000

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Now I just have to wait until it shows up in the Apple store.

15. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Is this going to be a standard one button just like the iPhone buds?

16. calvy macrumors 65816

well neither of my apple stores have these in stock today, although both said they've had them on the shelves for a while now, they are just out of stock as of today. Of course, they said that when I called last week too. I want these damn things, why can't I get my hands on them. They don't even seem to be high quality earbuds, they just have the damn mic on them and sound halfway decent. For 100 bucks, I should at least get convenience out of them

17. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

18. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Well, I'm headed out on a road trip tomorrow morning and will be staying at Mall of Georgia in Buford. Maybe I'll visit the new Apple store there and see if they have these.

19. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I'm glad to hear that these are finally becoming available. Does anyone know when we could expect to see them hitting the Apple stores?

20. saisrujan macrumors member

Let us know when this hits apple online store

V-moda's store has been updated with the new vibe duo w/ control-playback. The Apple on-line store is not updated yet. They don't have a new photo, but iLounge has a couple of new photos. The button is huge, but I don't mind.

The only way you differentiate this is with the word "w/ control-playback" and the following line in the desciption
    • Microphone’s call control button quickly answers phone calls and operates music playback features
    Otherwise, no new photo, no new brand name.

Please keep track of this on the Apple online store, and update this post when you see it online. I want to buy it with my $100 credit. I will post here as soon as I see it.

21. pooryou macrumors 65816

With the SE's as I understand it you would remove the old cable which is modular and use only the iPhone cable, so the cable will not be long like that. If you use another company's phones that is a different story.

22. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I have the SE 30s and the mic adapter. Yes there is way too much cord. But I wrapped it up and twist tied it to get rid of the problem. Audio quality is excellent on the buds (if you shove them deep into the ear) and the mic. Most people are surprised when I tell them I'm handsfree.

23. Jocko macrumors member

Thats what I originally hoped, but unfortunately the "modular" aspect is actually an 18" cable. I think it's basically the same thing the Sony's do, where you have the short-ish cable and then an extension. But there's no way to get rid of that 18". Unfortunate. Shure might have gotten a bunch of my money otherwise. Now it might be V-moda getting my money.

24. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I ordered a pair of these from the V-Moda website earlier today; can't wait to try them out!