V-Moda Vibe Duo w/ 3GS Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by billchase2, Jul 1, 2009.

1. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I have the V-Moda Vibe Duos, which I had been using with my first generation iPhone. They worked great until I upgraded to the 3GS. Now, they sometimes work correctly, but other times give me issues with the button. Every so often, when I double click the button to skip a track, it activates the voice command. It will also sometimes recognize the double click as a single click and will pause my music. There have been a few times where it will not recognize a single click at all and will just keep playing my music after I've told it to pause.

Typically, stopping the song and unplugging/plugging them back in will fix it. It's just getting annoying though. Is anyone else experiencing these issues? Any ideas on how to fix it or if I should contact V-Moda?

Thanks!

PS - I just remembered another issue. It's only done this a couple of times, but it will sometimes cut out all music for about 1 second and then continue, almost like it has a bad connection. The earbuds/cable are in perfect condition, so I have no idea why it's doing this.

2. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

After contacting support, here is their response:

"We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. The newest iPhone has updated hardware that might not support all of the functionality on the Vibe Duos. We will have a compatible model coming out soon with an upgrade/exchange option available. If you have any other questions, please let us know."

3. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

So pretty much, buy new ones or get used to it. That sucks. Sorry man.

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I've learned the V-Moda lesson and it sounds like you are in the process of doing the same. The lesson is, don't give them your money. Poor quality products. Some have been lucky and had headphones that have lasted longer than 6 months without issue, but those people are few and far between. Point blank, NOBODY should ever buy V-Moda headphones.

5. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

Yeah, it kind of sucks. They were pretty pricey ear buds and I've been a big fan of them until now. Oh well, I've learned my lesson... haha

6. mapas macrumors newbie

I have the same problem :(

I see that you are angry but I don't agree with you though... it is not v-moda's fault that apple changed the earphone interface design... the new apple earphones have volume control too, etc... I mean, these were designed for the older iphones...

7. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Same problem here...

I am having the same problem with mine as well. The thing that pissed me off was the Apple Store guy told me when I bought my 3GS that the vibe duos were completely made for the iphone 3gs. Now I am screwed with a pair of headphones that will probably die in the next month and can't play or pause music. I have tried your method of stopping, unplug and replugging back in. It has yet to work for me. Everytime I press the button, the voice control comes up, but the Duos won't even pick up the voice to control the phone. I really wish I would have paid more attention to their quality customer service before I purchased these. Let me know what you find out from V-Moda.
    Stephen
    selphs03@gmail.com

Thanks!
    Oh yea, your problem with the music cutting out for a second is a short in the cord. It sounds like your headphones are about to bite the dust. Did you get the new version with the slanted 3.5mm in or it perpendicular?

8. Jamie 360 macrumors member

I realized on day one that my V-Moda button controls do not work properly with the 3GS. In my case, I'm able to pause/play music and even pick up/hang up calls, but double clicks to skip tracks NEVER registers. (I popped them back into my 2G, and they still work perfectly fine on that.)

On the cutting out issue--that means your V-Modas are about to die--that is exactly how mine started to die and I'm now using a replacement pair. Don't give up on their customer service just yet. I didn't even have a receipt or box for mine and they still replaced them quickly without hassle. Don't focus on asking them to upgrade, tell them they are on the verge of dying. I hate to say it--but maybe even consider waiting until the new ones come out and then send them in for replacement, perhaps you'll get the new ones--it's worth a shot. :rolleyes:

I know everyone's preferences in sound quality is different (treble, bass, etc.) but for me, the Vibe-Moda sound is PERFECT. And again--I had a good experience with a quick replacement. However, as a light user (only use them for commuting )the short lifespan is disappointing.

I'm not happy with the Apple Store (both online and in store) not indicating whether or not the headphones they sell are compatible with the 3GS.

9. JRBTempe macrumors newbie

Just realized last night that I'm affected by the same issue... don't listen to my headphones that often but tried them with my iPhone 3Gs for the first time last night and thought I was going to have to call in the Ghostbusters — the volume was going up & down on its own, the music playback was stuttering like crazy and after maybe 30 mins. it was so bad I had to just resort to the stock 'buds, which was really depressing (no going back after you've had better ones).

E-mailed V-Moda support, so... hopefully it's true that we'll have the option to swap them for a newer model. Kinda sucks, though... :-(

10. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

i just upgraded to the 3gs from the original iphone and am having similar problems. i just plugged in the v modas for the first time and when making a phone call noticed a 'pulsing' beat of clicks in the background. when the call was answered, the person on the other line said they could only hear every 3rd word of my conversation. i just plugged in the dumb phones / mic that come w/ the iphone and they worked properly. i plugged the v modas back into my original phone and they also worked fine. i read many places that people went through countless replacements -- weird, because mine have lasted over a year of traveling, sports, abuse, etc -- i guess i was one of the lucky ones (until now)...

11. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm disappointed with V-Moda. I'm on my 3rd pair of Vibe Duos (they've been replaced twice because one of the speakers shorted out), and I don't even use them. Once they shipped the new set to me, I put them aside and put an ad on craigslist to sell them.

I'm currently using a pair of UE in-ear buds that I got on Amazon, and they've been great.

12. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Has anyone heard any news of the 3GS compatible headphones yet from v-moda? Mine just died last night after 2 months. I thought I would be the only person that doesn't have the broken earpiece problem. Please post if customer service tells you anything? I guess I am just going to goto the apple store and maybe they will pity me and let me exchange for some different headphones. Any other good ideas for 3GS compatible headphones with mic?

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Most likely the Apple Store will tell you that it's between you and V-Moda at this point. It is possible that you will come across a store employee that will be nice, but it isn't likely that after 2 months they'll let you make an exchange (you only have 14 days to do that).

If that doesn't work, go to v-moda's website and find the warranty return info. They are very good about replacing your dead earphones with fresh crappy ones. At that point, I'd recommend trying to sell them on craigslist.

14. calvy macrumors 65816

100% agreed. I attempted to return my POS v-moda's out of frustration to the apple store. The guy was very sympathetic, but because i wasn't within the original return period he could not return them. So, even though I had been through this FOUR times in the past, I decided to contact V-moda. I was frustrated, and fed up with their products, and I made that very clear. I told them I had no intention of keeping the replacement set they sent and that I'd be selling them to recoup the cost of whatever other brand of earphones I bought. So, I sent my broken vmodas in, and they sent me a set back. Every time in the past I had gotten a brand new retail packaged set of earphones. This particular time they sent me an unboxed set. I was not happy.

V-moda's suck. I guarantee they will break within a year of ownership, and although v-moda will gladly replace them, you'll be out 2 weeks while you wait for a new set, which will eventually break again, and you'll be going through the process again.

I bought the apple in ears. I figure if they break I can just head back to the apple store and be done with it that day. Sure, they don't sound the greatest. But I don't care, it's all compressed music coming out of these devices anyway.

15. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Good news!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, great news! I jet got repair set back from v-moda today. I had the same problem everyone else had with the compatibility with the 3GS. I was listening to the iPod today with the new set and I pressed the pause button and HOLY CRAP...They work again. The button pauses, plays and skips/ reverses tracks again. So apparently they fixed the issue. I think everyone that is having problems with their set needs to send them in for a replacement. I
    was told that they would offer an upgrade option for the compatible headphones that would cost a nominal fee. If they try and make you pay for it let them know that on their website. It said they are compatible with the iPhone and it's their problem. If they want to charge you still then hang up and write them an email later saying that they stopped working. It's not a complete lie, they did stop working with your 3GS. This way, they have to send you a new pair. Who knows, maybe they fixed the problem of them breaking every 3.5 months. Let me know what happens.

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I have the vibe dues only from the $100 iphone rebate i got from apple, all i can say they are the worst company with the worst products for so much money. broke twice and the overall sound quality is garbage. you can get so many other great headphones or earphones for that price.

17. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

I ended up using the warranty and got a replacement pair a few weeks ago. They work MUCH better than the old ones I had. They aren't perfect (if I've paused the music and waited a minute or so to resume, they sometimes give me a problem), but work much better overall. I would also suggest that anyone who's having issues gets them replaced.

BTW, my new ones have a different cord. My old ones were a shoelace kind of material with a clear rubber/plastic over them. The new ones are simply the shoelace material with nothing over them. They're much more flexible now... I like them!