V-Moda with mic + iTouch + Hack = WiFi Phone calls ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Devil's Refugee, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

With the release of the V-Moda headphones and mic control, do you think it's feasible for someone to develop a hack/ app to take advantage of this and be able to make skype-type calls from the iTouch ??

2. db2431 macrumors regular

Id be amazed if this DIDNT happen at some point.

3. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Seriously, go return your Touch and get a sim card unlocked iPhone...

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

This is not at all the same thing. Wanting a cell phone and a wireless VoIP handset are entirely different animals, and implying that one is a replacement for the other is misguided.

I hope someone works this out, I also agree it's really only a matter of time. It'll be a very cool feature for the Touch.

Can you post a link to this mic/headphone? I only see it for the iPhone. Thanks.

5. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

The Apple headphones for the iPhone, and these V-Moda ones have an extra ring on the connector that carries the microphone signal.

I'm guessing that the iPod Touch doesn't have the necessary internal adapter to even be able to accept that microphone signal.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Bingo!!

7. dorliberty macrumors member

wait a sec.. so cant it be ? maybe in the future ipod touch may have a phone ?

8. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

It already does.

It's called the iPhone my friend.

9. dorliberty macrumors member

im talking about ipod touch dude.. with mic and v-mode or whatever they sed up ther.. this is what i wana know.. k ?

10. jacktiernan macrumors regular

Gotta say that i agree.

I find myself hastily opening any thread that suggests a way to make calls on the ipod touch, then i go "hang on, why don't i just get an iphone?..."

For me, the answer is coz i live in Australia, but anyone in US doesnt have the luxury of a decent answer like mine ;)

11. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

but a wifi phone is very different from a cell phone. Wifi calling would be great on the iphone 2. I think there was an app for this once but it was a web app and didnt really work

12. yellowslide2 macrumors newbie

Perhaps with the V-Moda mic (assuming that the itouch has the capability of accepting microphone input, perhaps you could go onto the internet and make a call through skype. Of course to make it easier a hack would add that as an app to the main menu so that it could basically be a wifi skype i touch
    just a hope for my i touch

13. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

well the touch mic works with the pin connection, the headphone jack doesn't have the capability to accept microphones...there is a thread related to this...search it...the people that created the mic said that the code will be released for free on New Year's Day...

14. Skilgannon macrumors member

Skilgannon

15. MJRoseberry macrumors newbie

16. Seanyy macrumors newbie

17. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

and a phone bill

18. phoenix.stu macrumors member

I really don't know where you guys have been.

An audio line in has already been discovered for the ipod touch. The Touchmods team has done it. They have already built a mic for it as well.

Go to this thread and you will see all of the information you need.

CONFIRMED!!!

19. yellowslide2 macrumors newbie

They're already on the second app

They have already made the second generation app which can now receive calls and I can call up to 1 minute calls without paying a phone bill. now I'm hoping for wimax to come out so i can use it in more places. What would really be cool is if you use your iphone and get a plan with cingular so that you pay for your minutes as you go and just get unlimited access to the internet. Then use this app to call for a lot less!

20. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Stu is exactly right -- VoIP already exists on the iPod touch and iPhone (as long as they've been jailbroken). Just yesterday, I made a 30-minute free call on my iPod touch from Japan to the United States.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why sites like Macrumors and TUAW completely ignore the Touchmods project.

21. dis27337 macrumors newbie

its pretty simple prolly

get that itouch installer program, and it should be easy from there. download skype, its only 5$ a year or something really cheap i believe. just find a way to talk through there.