V V Slow Start Up after Boot Camp removal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kooler11, Jul 28, 2009.

1. kooler11 macrumors newbie

hi all
    I installed Boot Camp on my machine and removed it thereafter.
    However it has slowed down my startup for mac now to almost 4 MINS!!! from 30seconds before.

I have googled all the forums and tried the following without success :

- reinstalling the software
    - deleting the PRAM
    - selecting the Mac HDD as Startup disk but to no avail.
    - scanned/fixed/verify all permissions

something must have corrupted the MAC OS...can anyone suggest a way out of this slow boot up? Its like having a ferrari but can only move after a rolling start

thanks for your help

2. celticpride678

The only thing that will definitely fix it is an Archive and Install. The rest is just chance.

3. kooler11 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply.

i have indeed archived and installed but the problem persist.
    any other options besides reformatting the whole drive?

4. celticpride678

5. kooler11 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.

I tried disk repair and the permissions.
    I did find that website and tried the above steps except for removing the preferences one by one.

Called Apple and they said i should back up my things and do a fresh install.
    That would be my really last resort so trying to figure out what else can be done.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

7. kooler11 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, i erased it via disk utility instead of boot camp assistant.

When i realise i did that and it was not correct, i merged back the bootcamp with the macintosh drive via "partition".

Then I used bootcamp and re did the whole process and installed windows. And then later removed it via bootcamp assistant yet the slow startup remained.

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

You probably better do a backup, and then a full Erase & Install (or Erase+Time Machine restore from boot DVD). That means doing a complete repartition of your drive, too. The EFI+Bootcamp process involves one or two hidden partitions, and probably something wrong in there is the cause of your problem.

9. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Have you tried resetting the SMC for your Mac? Look over at Apple Support for clues as how do to this. I have a friend who had some trouble with Boot Camp also, after he reset the SMC for his Mac the computer now boots fine again. Not saying that it will work but it's worth a try.

In Google type: SMC reset 'and then your Mac type'

10. kooler11 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks allan - i have tried the SMC reset but it did not work.

Amdahl - i will most likely to erase and install as u mentioned.

Just one last thing B4 i do that, these are the error messages on the console. You have any idea what they mean :

30/07/2009 17:50:07 com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
    30/07/2009 17:50:07 com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.blued) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
    30/07/2009 17:50:07 com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
    30/07/2009 17:50:07 com.apple.launchd[1] (org.cups.cupsd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
    30/07/2009 17:50:07 com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight
    30/07/2009 17:50:07 com.apple.launchd[1] (org.x.privileged_startx) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
    30/07/2009 17:50:19 com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager) Throttling respawn: Will start in 4 seconds
    30/07/2009 17:50:44 com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.UserEventAgent-LoginWindow[69]) Exited: Terminated
    30/07/2009 17:50:44 com.apple.launchd[76] (com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
    30/07/2009 17:50:44 com.apple.launchd[76] (org.x.startx) Unknown key for boolean: EnableTransactions
    30/07/2009 17:50:51 com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager) Throttling respawn: Will start in 2 seconds

11. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Could it be as simple as finding a utility that will reindex the launchd database? I see lots of entries that point to the launchd database.

If I remember correctly then OnyX will do it. Also I know that MacPilot can reindex it.

Edit: These programs shouldn't really be used on an fully operational Mac, but it might just help you out doing the reindex of the launchd database just one time. Just be aware that downloaded files will once again say "Safari downloaded this file" or "Firefox downloaded this file"

12. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I was looking at those same error messages just last night.. nothing unusual I suspect.