Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
I grabbed my iPhone off the charger this morning, like normal. I was somewhere, and had to check who I was meeting with at 2:30, and my home button would not work. I was in a hurry, so I powered down, and powered up to the home screen... into calander, and got the info. I coul move about in any app just fine... but just not return to the home screen with the button. Totally dead.

AN hour later, I call someone. I can hear them... but they do NOT hear me.

I get home, and plug it in. No charging. I plug it into an iMac... and a screen comes up, something to the effect that a device on the USB bus is drawing too much power, and the iMac powered down the USB bus.

I looked into the connector area... nothing looks amiss.

Any ideas?

Dave

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
do the volume up/down and ringer switches do anything? does shaking it help at all?

i guess the best thing to do is take it to an apple store

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Played a song- volume controls work. Music is EXTREMELY distorted... even at lower than full-on volume.

Also, at ever power up, I get the "The accessory attached to the iPhone is not approved for an iPhone. Should I put this iPhone in airplane mode while it is attached" or whatever. Obviously, nothing is attached.

I have powered it down, because at this point, it looks like I cannot charge this anymore....

I can get some compressed air and blow out the plug area... but I have looked in there pretty good. I do NOT see anything in there. When my wife gets home, I will compare to hers....

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Well, not I cannot even power it down. There is a crackling sound from the speakers. Battery is warm.

Batt level is all over the place. 6% then 42 then 100%- crazy.

Gonna try to get to the Mac store today.

Since it is V1, there is not a lot they can do, is there? I mean, they would not trade it out for a 3G would they?

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Its not one year old- 11 months. I have receipt!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.