Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pszilard

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I bought a Mini 2011 but it couldn't maintain Bluetooth connection with mouse or keyboard and was only usable with USB connected peripherals. I returned the unit, but was wondering if this was a rare problem, or quite common.

I am tempted to buy the quad core one some time later.

BTW, to get 1x256GB SSD costs $A240 upgrade, but to get 2x256GB Apple is charging $A1,200. I may not be good at maths, but can't see why it should be more than twice the cost of one!

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
It's actually $460AUD and $1200AUD respectively.

It does take more work to put two drives in a Mac Mini than just one as you can see in repair guides, but I do agree that the price increase to put 2 SSDs in vs 1 is rather steep.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
If you have a look at the repair guides it's a lot more work putting two drives in a Mac Mini 2011 than one. To get an estimate of prices for Apple CTO upgrades, you have to ignore the cost of the replaced hardware (in this case 2x2.5" 500GB 7200rpm HDDs), then allow for premium priced hardware which factors in Apple needing to retest with the new hardware installed.

Whilst the pricing often looks excessive, it's no accident how Apple prices it. If you are willing to do upgrades yourself you can often do it a lot cheaper.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I bought a Mini 2011 but it couldn't maintain Bluetooth connection with mouse or keyboard and was only usable with USB connected peripherals. I returned the unit, but was wondering if this was a rare problem, or quite common.

I am tempted to buy the quad core one some time later.

I think a lot of folks initially had some issues with the new Bluetooth 4.0. However, once I went in and manually set mine up, I've never had another issue with it finding my bluetooth devices (keyboard, trackpad and mouse) I will say that it isn't as fast as the previous version of bluetooth at connecting to the devices on reboot, but it does connect each and every time without fail. I am running the quad-core server and couldn't be happier.

I initially bought the 2.5 core i5, but returned it in favor of the quad-core because I do a lot of ripping. In most cases it cuts the ripping time down by half. I love that! It was the right decision for me to go with the quad-core. Having the AMD GPU really didn't mean much to me, since I don't game. The Intel HD3000 does everything I need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.