Vacation ideas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puckhead193, Nov 28, 2007.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So my parents want to take a vacation in January. I want Maui but that's a long trip and isn't feasible right now, maybe in the summer. Anyways we've been to the Bahamas and did the whole Atlantis thing twice, and while its nice we want something different/a new island. So my dad was thinking Aruba or the like in the Caribbean area... Any ideas. Me and my brother both swim, so a beach and water sports like scuba diving jet skies etc. Maybe something other to do then just the beach and pool. And lets face it, its vacation so someone place with good food, but nothing too exotic. Just a place to relax in nice weather for 4/5 days?
    So any ideas? Where have you gone on vacation? Would you go back?
    PS- no Mexico - my parents went before they had me and my brother and mom didn't like it....:rolleyes:

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

St. Kitts is always a beautiful place to visit. Jamaica can be nice. :)

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'll second St Kitt's/Nevis if you're looking for something authentic and with no mega-resorts.

And of course the caymans are a diver's haven, but quite expensive.

4. Sayewhat macrumors member

Look into the Dominican Republic. Very nice, cheap and the diving is good.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Well, as my next holiday (sorry, I'm English and never say vacation) is to Boston and Newport, RI, I'd say stay where you are :) or spend the time in the Pub in the Hub (just off School Street, got very drunk in there last year)

but for a short break what about a little further north and look at Montreal? Friends went there last January and loved the place.

EDIT: Oops, just seen the bit about nice weather, forget Montreal. Looks like Dominican Republic is a good bet.

6. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

The Grand Cayman Island!?

[​IMG]

Jamaica is a tad overrated, I think :p

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

8. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

would love to go back. Its actually a good time since it is your summer their correct? and the diving is well, great, But the flight is about how long from from New York :p

Some good ideas. I always wanted to go to Grand Caymen to swim with the sting rays ;)

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

thats actually really fun. The stingrays are kinda domesticated. They see/hear a boat coming and they all rush over for food. My first time out a big daddy one came and laid right on my chest making all these gurgling sounds. His wings were as wide as my reach. That was in deep water. Other times they take you to somewhere about 4 or 5 feet deep and you dont need flippers or a snorkel and you can just pet them.

They are very smooth on top and a little rubbery on the underside. The tail, which actually isn't a "stinger", feels like a long metal rod with a barb in the middle. When the ray is near the bottom they can use it to whip whatever is attacking them.

10. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

hows the weather in January like? When i went to Atlantis in December, yes it was warm but had a chill in the air. It maybe was like lows 70s....
    Also what hotel did u stay at?

11. Sayewhat macrumors member

12. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

We've been to Marathon, Florida, and that was a great vacation. There's a lot of condos you can rent around there for a week. I'm not sure about hotels, though. Also, Key West about 45 minutes away, so that's a great day trip to take.

13. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i suggest st. croix. but i'm biased.

don't go near palm beach, fl's beaches though, we had severe sand erosion the past few months, to the point where many beaches are just gone and some condos are threatened. and plus, most beaches around here are private, so good luck.:mad:

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Oh I don't know what time of year I was there. It could have been around thanksgiving time. Its been like ten years. I've never stayed at the islands although I would have like to. I was at st. kitts and grand caymen on an excursion from a cruise ship.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Whatever you do, don't come to the California Central Coast. Lousy weather, terrible food, nothing to do. Sharks, earthquakes every day, and most of the place is on fire. Seriously, it's not worth visiting...

16. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

17. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I think it was cruise to Aruba where my parents went and the boat docked in like a city. They went on a tour of the country or something and ended up being dropped off in slum where people were begging my mom for her shoes.

I went to Mexico and I was digested with all the begging and I just didn't really like it at all.

I've been to Bermuda twice on cruises. I really like it there. Its small enough that you can see the whole country, but there are a lot of activities you can do (fishing, jet skis, scuba diving, etc, etc, etc). There is no poverty there and no one is begging you for money or shoes or clothes. There are also no seagulls because some native bird chases them away. Additionally there are no bugs. The cruise obviously offers entertainment and such.

The first time I went I believe we went of Boston, the second time was out of Port Liberty (I think), NJ which is basically right across from Manhattan. Boston obviously is a little easier to get to but both ports were clean. My parents went out of NYC one time and said the port was dirty and grundgy.

With Bermuda though you kinda have to go in the summer.

Trip #1 was the Norwegian Majesty and it was pretty boring, no other kids, mostly old people. Trip #2 was the Royal Caribbean something which offered a lot more entertainment but it was a significantly larger boat.

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, that was a great description. You should write travel brochures... :eek:

19. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Cruise

there is no better value for your money than being brought to 4 different islands, fed everynight as much food as you want, and to have decent accommodations for 600 bucks per person

20. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

;)

"If they call it tourist season, how come I can't shoot them?"

22. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

the Atlantis hotel in Pardise Island,Bahamas it looks bueatiful from pics but ive never been there