Vacation plan setup

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Razeus, May 29, 2014.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

My wife and I will be heading to her home of Puerto Rico at the end of June for 7 days. I'm traveling light but began thinking about my offloading setup. I usually wait until I return home to off load my cards, process a few, and post to a social network, but much has change since 2010 when I was last able to go on vacation out of the country.

With today's tech, I can take a photo with my "serious" camera, send the file over to my iPhone, process it, and post it on the spot. It's bit clumsy to do when on the go and not as easy as just using the iPhone, but I like the quality I get from a big sensor, so this will be an end of the day thing (besides, my wife would kill me if I'm fumbling with my camera and phone constantly :p).

I'm taking just my Fujifilm X-E2 and 18-55 f/2.8-4 and 4 batteries.

Here's my plan:

1) Connect the Camera Connection Kit to my iPhone (I need to purchase).
    2) Have Google Drive upload all my photos for the day.
    3) Let Google do its photo magic (Auto Awesome features) and select 3-5 photos to post the next day.

My question. Does the Camera Connection kit support RAW? If not, I'll have to use RAW+JPEG. JPEG is fine for shots of the wife and I, but I'll be using RAW for my more serious photography (street, urban landscapes, landscapes, etc.)

If I shoot RAW+JPEG, can I just select JPEG only on the Camera Connection Kit as not to upload RAW files? I'd like to upload both, but trying to upload 8-16 gigs a day may prove futile.

I DO NOT plan on erasing any cards as I fill them up. I'll be taking 2 8GB and 2 16GB which should give me 600 RAW+JPEG images but I might get a 32GB just to be sure. It's Puerto Rico so I can just buy an extra card at Wal-Mart if I need to.

2. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Camera Connection Kit does nominally support raw files, but since raw is not really a standard like JPEG, you'd need to check if it supports raw files from your specific camera. More importantly, depending on the software you will use on your iDevice to actually turn your raw files into JPEGs for sharing, they may or may not look as good as they do when you process them using your software on the computer.

Also, not sure you're aware, but you will need to jailbrake your iPhone if you want to use a Camera Connection Kit with it. Normally it's only compatible with an iPad.

3. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

Ahhh...so I'll need to bring my iPad. I thought they were universal. Space on my iPhone is 2x that my iPad. I don't have much on my iPad, but for some reason apps use a ton of space on that thing.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Well, there's this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

I've got the kit and I just used an adapter; so it may depend on whether you need compatibility with the older connector.

The RAW thing is kind of a PITA. You might take a look at Photosmith; it can handle RAW ON the iPad. It's most useful for LR users, but might also work just for doing some stuff with RAW. And it can export photos to other apps, upload to Flickr, etc. It doesn't upload directly to Picasa but can send photos to Stackr Picasa, eg, for upload.

5. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

I'm not looking to process the RAW files. Just upload them to Google Drive. I just want to know if the CCK shows you both the RAW and JPEG and if it indicates which one is which.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I don't think that most individual apps in iOS can directly access RAW files. So what I suspect you'd upload would be whatever jpeg the iOS creates.

According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5182?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US if you have imported raw+jpeg then it should choose that jpeg, which I seem to recall was better quality.

I use Photosmith not to edit RAW per se but to sort, cull, keyword and other use metadata. Also, when I export from Photosmith it exports the RAW file to something like Stackr Picasa, which I then upload, and I have the RAW there. If I just use Stackr, I can access the photos in the iOS albums, but no RAWs. There might be another way to do this, but I dunno what it is. Google Drive will only upload the jpeg, even if I have used my CCK to import both jpeg and raw. And they just show as photos; you can't distinguish.

7. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

Cool. I'm not using the Google Drive app directly for uploading. I'm using an app called Photosync which will upload where is in the camera roll, RAW or JPEG.

I guess it's best I just go ahead and test it myself and get everything in working order. Really not trying to take the MBA with me.

8. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Yeah, I use PhotoSync as well but I cannot get it to send the RAW; it just sends the jpeg.

9. pezdaddy macrumors member

I can confirm that the camera connection kit does not work with an iphone - ipad only.

10. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Hmm. I tried PhotoSync some more, and couldn't get it to send RAW to Google+/Picasa. I sent an email to them about it, and we're working on it. I think it SHOULD work since that service will do RAW.

But PhotoSync DOES send the RAW/JPG pair to Google Drive, so that's obviously a solution.

11. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

Ya. I'm going to play with it over the weekend and adjust my thinking if need be. I don't want to have bring a laptop and external HD just to back my stuff up. Not with todays technology.

12. robgendreau macrumors 68040

The PhotoSync folks just got back to me. They'd overlooked the RAW support in Google+/Picasa and so will enable RAW upload direct to that service in one of the next updates. Awesome tech support, no?

BTW, another way to go is a NAS. I use a small travel router, the HooToo TripMate, on the road. It's smaller than a deck of cards, and is powered via a USB plug. It has an ethernet port and USB port. I use it to extend existing wifi networks, to act as an access point for ethernet in hotel rooms, etc, and as a LAN for connecting mobile devices when I'm away from cell or wifi coverage. And I just attach a big USB thumbdrive and then beam photos from my iPad to it. Not as fast, obviously, as a direct write from the SD card but it works. And it has a DLNA server built in so others can access and view the photos on their phones and whatnot. The HooToo even has it's own nicely designed app. All for about $30US. It especially works well with certain wifi cameras that can beam directly to it. I haven't tried just mounting my SD card in it but I imagine that would work.

Wifi transfer is rather slow, of course, but I so often need a router that I'd take it anyway, and it's been nice to share photos (and music and other stuff) out on the road.

And they also have those hard drives with SD slots and minimal interfaces to bring in photos, but those always seemed way overpriced for what they do.