Vacation time

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, May 6, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm getting ready to head to Florida with my kids and wife. I am so looking forward to this vacation.

I just totaled up my hours that I worked for the past two months. I've worked 7 days a week 70+ hours of work for the past 2 months. This week I've started working at 6:00am, and finishing up at 11:00pm (with a break for lunch and making dinner).

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Was this supposed to be posted on facebook?

Have fun on your vaca ... LIKE! :p

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just a rant (or a whine) ;)

4. ehoui macrumors regular

What do you do for work and why? :eek:

Kidding aside, enjoy and try not to work on your vacation!

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ironically, I am looking forward to vacation out of Florida with the family in the next few months.

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I maintain servers and enterprise applications from an infrastructure perspective. I'm involved in upgrading two of those enterprise applications at once and I'm on a tight dead line :(

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Congrats on the well-deserved vacation, I hope you enjoy it.

I was working those kind of hours for a couple of months toward the end of last year. Aggressive software deadlines. I count myself fortunate that I get paid for the overtime. It's much easier to accept working at 8pm on a Sunday night when I know I can charge time and a half for the entire weekend!

Things have settled a bit but I'm finding a comfortable pace of working mostly regular hours during the week, plus coming in on Sunday afternoons for a few OT hours.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was just giving you a hard time, it's the nature of my personality. ;)
    On a related note, I recently took a few days off work and noticed that the hours I put in during the weeks leading up to my whopping 3-day vacation far exceeded the time off that I took. I already work a minimum of 10 hour days, combine that with the onset of an actual day off, it's absurd.

To me, and to many of my friends across the pond, US working conditions are for the birds. You should be able to take a vacation and not feel obligated to work extended hours to ensure things are ok while you're gone. I don't know if your situation is because others lack competence or what, but it's a shame that we have to wear ourselves thin just to take a couple of days off. In my eyes, the days off aren't worth it so I tend to "give back" 100+ hours of paid time off at year end each year.

Of course there is always one yahoo that counters with, "at least you have a job." Which is true but that doesn't negate poor working conditions.
    </rant>

9. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

enjoy your vaca.

i will be going on one soon too.

10. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not a problem,

I have to say that my girls are SO excited to head to Disney world. They were 3 the last time we went and they had fun then. Now that they're 5 they are climbing the walls waiting to go. This vacation is for them pure and simple and I'll have so much fun watching them enjoy themselves.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If that's a tight, dead line, you're outa luck. A tight deadline would at least make it possible. ;)

12. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well my vacation is over :( . Arrived in FLA and was accosted by 95 degrees and 90% humidity. Being from Boston where the median temp this spring was 56. It was HOT.

The unusually high temps for May and high humidity made visiting the Disney parks challenging. Bottom line though my girls had an awesome time

Now back to the grind

13. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I hate it when you get back home from a holiday. Getting back to normality is the worst feeling :(

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Sorry about the sucky weather. We were setting records when you were here. If you can, in the future, come October through April, avoiding Thanksgiving weekend, week before Christmas through week after New Years, ands ping break. Weather is great and no crowds.

15. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Most important thing right there! My father took me and my sisters to Disney World when I was a kid, and I'll always remember it. Dads are the best. :)

Next time try Disneyland in California - still warm, but not humid and oppressive. Florida isn't just hot, it's disgustingly hot and humid. I really don't know how people live there.

Hope you got at least a little R & R otherwise.

16. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This was for them, pure and simple and they had a blast.

Sure they melted in the sun, but overall they really had a great time. If they're happy, I'm happy :)