Vacationing.....by YOURSELF!!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kitki83, Aug 6, 2007.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Just want to know who is the nutty one me or my family. Basically I am taking a small vacation 5 days to get some R&R. My friend is getting me a nice package to Canada.

My family thinks I am a nut job going by myself (my family thinks Mexico is best, because we are from there and I explored Mexico to its fullest). I told them that many people do it and the dangers that can happen there is no different than my house. They think its not normal for people to travel by themselves because you do not enjoy it, which I disagree vacation is how you make it.

As MR members, do you take vacations by yourself? and do you think its weirder than going with someone else?

2. Gee macrumors 65816

I travelled all the way round the world by myself. And met lots of people doing the same thing.

It's sometimes difficult - eating out is pretty sad when you're alone (but business people have to do this all the time as well); it kinda forces you to talk to people though

3. 66217 Guest

Sometimes being by yourself is good. I think 5 days is a perfect time to go alone, its not like it means you are anti-social or anything.

Different would be if you go to a long vacation alone.

BTW, what is R&R?

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes, small ones... love the travelling, but being at a destination by yourself can be difficult at times. From eating out to just wanting some company.

Still, at least you only need to please yourself, do what you want, hook up with whoever you want... and the stories don't get back to anyone. ;)

5. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why you put such subtle ideas, I love it!

R&R Rest and relaxation

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think I'd agree with you. Some vacation "destinations" and shorter vacations could be so nice alone. But for me? I'd probably only like a max 3-day/night vacation by myself. :eek:

I'd really much rather go on vacation with someone special and be able to have new experiences be shared and recalled with that person. Plus, more foods can be tried w/ more people. ;)

And yes, R&R = rest and relaxation.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OMG- yes, by all means go. It''ll be good for you. Go out and meet people. It can be a lot less lonely than you think, if you get my meaning. ;)

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah i've gone on a vacation by myself. it was enjoyable. and i'll likely be doing it again. there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. and if anything it helps you relax more imo. go for it. and enjoy yourself and relax. thats the point of time off in the first place.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

In October I'll be setting off on my 9 month 'Round the World trip by myself. Go where I want, when I want, without having to think about anybody else - I can't wait.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i've kinda sorta gone on vacation by myself. meaning, i've traveled by myself to see people i know. does that count? there was plenty of alone sightseeing time, but there was always someone i knew with me. still, though, i think traveling of any kind is a fantastic opportunity. if it's by yourself, so what? it's no big deal. enjoy the trip!

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like my family going on holiday and leaving me to look after the house for months on end. It's like my own little holiday. When they're away I go for day-long hikes up the hills and moors just because it's so peaceful up there. As for going abroad without any friends or family - I might find that hard, but I'll certainly try it to "find myself" or with the intention of finding some holiday friends.

12. 66217 Guest

I love when we go to the beach (with my family or friends), but be able to wake early in the morning and walk by the beach alone, without a single person around you, I find it a great time to think about myself and just enjoy happy memories.

Beach + Sunrise or Sunset + Walking Alone + Seagulls + Happy Memories = The most relaxing moment in you life:)

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hi Kitki:
    We would love to have you visit -- Before arriving, please make sure that you have all passports, visa etc. in order, that you are carrying credit cards and a dated return ticket home.

It is being reported that Canadian border officials have recently been turning away some single travelers from Mexico if they suspect that the traveler is attempting to gain entry to work illegally in Canada (with no proof required for them to deny entry).

14. fotografica macrumors 68040

I go on solo vacations. Have had some of my best times traveling that way. Not tied down,can get up when I want,go to bed when I want,go where I want etc. Nothing worse than traveling with a group and people going back and forth.. "Well where do you want to eat?Where do want to go?What time should we meet?What should we do tomorrow?..All you do is spend time deciding and no matter what,somebody's pissed off they didn't get their way :p

Go and have a great time!!! Enjoy yourself..

15. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats basically the problem with the people I wanted to ask. They are just blah, they can't pick up and just go. Plus the problem work I need to take vacation before September due to new management, and they told us they do not want us to take any vacation (just corporate scare tactic) but I am using it to be able to take a vacation and still take another in future.

Thanks guys, I just wanted to know I am not alone in seeing traveling by yourself is not crazy.

16. fotografica macrumors 68040

No,you're not crazy at all.Go for it.You won't be sorry ;)

17. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Nothing wrong with it at all. Go for it. The only negativity I have encountered is that some restaurants have a problem with single diners. At one establishment in North Conway NH, I was told that I would have to sit at the bar. As a non-smoker, this was not an option. (Everyone at the bar was smoking) I found another place, more like an old fashioned diner, that had no problems seating anyone.