Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

VAIO Notebooks

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
What are your guys' opinions on VAIO notebooks?

I loved Sony VAIO back in the day - they were honestly on par with Apple in terms of quality and innovation. In fact - in some instances they were ahead of Apple in some aspects - for example the X505 can be considered the first "Ultrabook".

It makes me happy to know the brand still lives on - and it appears to me they are doing fairly well as the lineup has expanded over the past couple years.

I also think it's cool that they are all manufactured in Nagano, Japan.

They have definitely delivered a unique niche - they have all the ports that business users want, they have a pretty unique design, and after all is said and done, they are doing well. I'm surprised they aren't talked about more, and I just wish they would make a notebook with a discrete graphics card. I'd like to see a MacBook Pro competitor.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I had several back in the day. They were nice enough machines but always had something weird to brag about-- a little scroll-wheel on the side of the laptop to navigate a special Sony menu that never worked right, a rear ventilation platform that would swivel down when the display was opened, for extra ventilation, etc. Always something non-standard and useless, so they could pretend they were innovating. It usually meant software oddities too.

I switched from Vaios to Thinkpads back when they were IBM. Now those were solid machines. But nothing holds up as well as my MacBook Pros.

Reactions: 0989382
Comment

LindsayD

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2019
England
Sony VAIO 040419-1020.jpg

I sold my pearl white 2014 VAIO two weeks ago - gorgeous machine but too heavy for me now (17 inches). Lovely screen, too. It was tactile with very nice edges.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Sony knew a thing or two about design. One of the companies Steve Jobs looked up to, back then, of course.

Comment

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I looked at a small VAIO once, but it was not quad core. And it did not inspire confidence.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.