VAIO Notebooks

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by TSE, Jul 21, 2019.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

TSE

What are your guys' opinions on VAIO notebooks?

I loved Sony VAIO back in the day - they were honestly on par with Apple in terms of quality and innovation. In fact - in some instances they were ahead of Apple in some aspects - for example the X505 can be considered the first "Ultrabook".

It makes me happy to know the brand still lives on - and it appears to me they are doing fairly well as the lineup has expanded over the past couple years.

I also think it's cool that they are all manufactured in Nagano, Japan.

They have definitely delivered a unique niche - they have all the ports that business users want, they have a pretty unique design, and after all is said and done, they are doing well. I'm surprised they aren't talked about more, and I just wish they would make a notebook with a discrete graphics card. I'd like to see a MacBook Pro competitor.

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

I had several back in the day. They were nice enough machines but always had something weird to brag about-- a little scroll-wheel on the side of the laptop to navigate a special Sony menu that never worked right, a rear ventilation platform that would swivel down when the display was opened, for extra ventilation, etc. Always something non-standard and useless, so they could pretend they were innovating. It usually meant software oddities too.

I switched from Vaios to Thinkpads back when they were IBM. Now those were solid machines. But nothing holds up as well as my MacBook Pros.

3. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

You got to be kidding me :)

I wonder how the VAIOs are now that they are not being manufactured by Sony. As with any laptop, support matters a lot. VAIOs might have great support in Japan but not sure how they fare out here in the West.

4. LindsayD macrumors regular

Sony VAIO 040419-1020.jpg

I sold my pearl white 2014 VAIO two weeks ago - gorgeous machine but too heavy for me now (17 inches). Lovely screen, too. It was tactile with very nice edges.

5. SmackBookPro macrumors 6502

Sony knew a thing or two about design. One of the companies Steve Jobs looked up to, back then, of course.

6. cube macrumors P6

I looked at a small VAIO once, but it was not quad core. And it did not inspire confidence.