Vaja cases for iPad 2 Compatible with New iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by lulla01, Mar 20, 2012.

1. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Do the Vaja iPad 2cases work for iPad 3? Mostly interested in the grips to block the heat from my iPad.

2. Gol27 macrumors regular

I asked the same question a few days ago, the response was they do fit but the sleep awake function of the folio style doesn't work. I personally could live with that as I don't use it anyway.
    So i went ahead and bought the ipad 3 and I'm happy to say it does fit, albeit a little tightly. The sleep awake function also works if you have that style case, but mine is a year old so has had enough time to stretch out.

I'm sorry though, I don't understand what you mean by 'grips'?

3. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

I have the Evolution which is just the back cover (I use a smart cover for the front). THe cover fits fine from what I can see.

4. emgoodman macrumors regular

I am awaiting delivery of a Libretto purchased more than half off through EBay. I figure worse case is I have a really hight quality leather cover without sleep/wake or I may look into seeing if I can somehow sew a felt strip over a magnet somewhere on the case and get the function working.

5. Gol27 macrumors regular

That's the version I have, it might take a little time but no mods are necessary. You just need to let the leather stretch over a few weeks.

6. emgoodman macrumors regular

Bought it off EBay and seller said it was about half year old so maybe I will luck out and work right away. If so, I will have lucked into a great deal.

7. sotie macrumors 6502

My Libretto (made for iPad 2) fits the New iPad just fine.

8. kormaster macrumors newbie

Where do you guys order the vaja cases? Straight off their web site or do you guys recommend somewhere else?

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I have a Libretto for the iPad 2 and it works with the iPad 3, though the iPad 3 does not seem to snap into it as securely due to its increased thickness. This isn't really a matter of the leather stretching since there's a plastic shell inside of the section that holds the iPad. That plastic shell is flexible enough to accommodate the new iPad but it won't stretch out over time.

10. sotie macrumors 6502

I've ordered both directly from their site and from cases.com. I preferred the experience with cases.com better. They only sell what they have in stock so you don't have to go through a long waiting period while vaja fabricates a case for you. Also, they're in the US and shipping is much cheaper than it is from Argentina. They have frequent sales and discount codes too. However, cases.com only sells them in basic colors so if you want a color combo that out of the ordinary you'll have to order directly.

----------

With my libretto it snapped in very securely. I was very surprised that it did since it is thicker.

11. emgoodman macrumors regular

Sounds like fit is not a problem, but sleep/wake wont work at least initially. Is it working for you?

12. sotie macrumors 6502

I should mention that it's a tight fit and I had to exert quite a bit of pressure on the right side of the front bezel to get it in all the way. Once it was in it appears to be very secure.

Actually, I just checked it for fit a couple of days ago and took it out right after. I didn't even think about the sleep/wake function so I just went back and checked... it doesn't work:( I spoke to a case distributor over the weekend and was told that there is something different about the way apple placed the magnets in the 3rd gen ipad. If the case maker doesn't place the magnet polarity in the correct way it won't work. For some reason this isn't an issue with the ipad 2. So I took my libretto cover and touched the outside to the bezel and it activated sleep/wake. This means that some will work and other's won't depending on how which way they were oriented during manufacturing. I have another ipad 2 case that does activate sleep/wake on my ipad 3. If you're looking to purchase I see that Vaja has cases specifically designed for ipad 3 on their site now.

13. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

I just want the back part to counter the heat, they raised the price I went to buy it for 60.00 and now its 100

14. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

Has anyone found a better rear case than vaja makes? I want a leather back

15. emgoodman macrumors regular

My Black exterior/red leather interior Libretto for iPad 2 was delivered today. Seller claimed it was about 6 months old. The new iPad fit very easily and I'm ecstatic to say that the sleep/wake function works perfectly. Perhaps I was just lucky and that one of the magnets in the case was placed "opposite side up" so that it worked with the reversed polarity.

I was tempted to buy one of these for full price from cases.com or direct from Vaja but ended up saving over $100 getting through Ebay. Hope others that already bought the case previously for their iPad 2s luck out as well.