Vaja flip cases - any regrets?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by stewie1, Oct 8, 2011.

1. stewie1, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

stewie1 macrumors member

So I'm kinda salivating over the Vaja black series leather case. But that's a lot of money.

I'm concerned about the bulk of adding a case, and I'm concerned about the flip portion just awkwardly dangling there when I'm using the phone.

I THINK I could live with these factors, but I'm not entirely sure. And by the time this thing gets to me it will run me over a hundred bucks... I'd like to be sure.

Has anyone purchased one and regretted it? Are my concerns valid, or not really an issue? I'm a sucker for soft quality leather, but I also value the phone's slim profile and ease of use.

My other thought is to just get a skin from Portenzo or Dodocase. For the price these might be a much better solution.

2. fatfrogger macrumors newbie

fatfrogger

Here's my recent experience.

I was led to believe that Vaja Cases were top notch, their website looks good, so good that I was lured into a false sense of security.

Rather than go on and tell you my problems, here is the email I just sent off to Vaja.

See what I mean?

JM

3. MayBee macrumors 6502

I paid $100+ several years ago for my 3G iphone for the flip case.

I dropped the phone several time with the case...and I still get a crack line on the front. Is it noticeable? yes...

If i didn't have a case at all, then the damage would have been worse.

Did it protect it 100%? No, but it did make the damage less.

I wish I had spent $100 on the accidental drop warranty for 2 years than the case.

I would recommend them if you want SOME protection and look good. I gotta admit..they do make nice looking leather cases. It is better looking than most cases out there. It is indeed on the expensive side.

Oh, and it did take about 1 month for delivery :)

I can't speak for the quality today, but it was well made quality back then. They might have decided to cut cost...and make them cheaper now.

Would I buy them again? No. This time, I bought the 2 years warranty and going naked with the phone :)

4. fatfrogger, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  5. stewie1 thread starter macrumors member

I caved and got a Vaja.

frogger, I had the same experience as you wrt shipping. I think "immediate" has a different meaning in South America, so I'm willing to cut them some slack. It was less than a week from placing the order to getting it in my hands, so I'm not going to complain about that.

The case itself is quite nice. Can't say I have any complaints about the workmanship. It adds a bit of bulk to the phone but not too much weight. The front flap isn't quite as annoying yet as I feared it would be. And the fit is absolutely perfect.

But here's my one complaint: the case doesn't look quite as sleek as it does on the website. there is less coverage, particularly at the bottom of the phone. This doesn't create an issue with protection, but it looks like it doesn't fit quite right... the bottom corners of the phone are clearly visible. The top flap is just a tiny bit smaller than pictured.

Generally I'm happy with my purchase so far.

6. RA19 macrumors regular

Generally pleased with my Vaja case for the iPhone 4 (flip case), but then I got a great deal on ebay. The only thing I don't like is that if your case has a light coloured inner lining it attracts a hell of a lot of grease / dirt from the metal band at the top of the iPhone when it clips shut.