Vaja iVolution case question (flap and flap-less)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by maflynn, Jun 20, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm contemplating a vaja case, I've used them before on various PDAs I've owned over the years, but this is the first time I'm thinking of plunking some money down for the iPhone case.

Anyways, I'm debating between the two models, one with the flap, such as the ivolution top or SP
    [​IMG]

Or the flap-less ivolution
    [​IMG]

My question is about everyday usage, for the one with the flap, do people find that getting in the way? I frequently use the phone through out the day and I'm concerned about that getting in the way, especially for making calls.

The other concern is about the flap-less based on what I've read, the home button can require a lot more pressure, and also the increased depth affects typing. Both issues were mentioned on one of the ilounge's reviews.

Also anyone wish to comment on the increased bulk, as I tend to have the phone in my pocket I don't want the case to make the device too unwieldly in my pocket. at 80 bucks a pop, I want to think long and hard about this and also here what other's have to say about both products. It does seem like the ivolution top sp is the more popular product, perhaps the red and black, making m think the flap design is a superior design over the flapless one.

2. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

never owned one, but if i were to buy one, i'd go for the case with the flap

i was thinking of getting an orange/white stripe with the flap and belt clipless

3. gswilder macrumors regular

I've have one with the flap for about 6 months. One of the nicest looking, best protecting cases I have ever owned (my is black with a red stripe).

Flap can be a problem if you are always using it to check messages, email, etc.

Adds some bulk and weight.

Only flaw, is the smaller flap that holds the larger flap closed on the iPhone has a tendency to wear. And some of the leather rubs off onto the iphone.

Pretty pricey, but sends a statement.♠

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks fir the update. I'm on the fence fir either one I can't decide which would work best for me I think the SP (flap version) is less bulky but as I mentioned the flap may interfere with my usage

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. Dr. Bombay macrumors member

I've used the Vaja iVolution cases on a couple of other devices and have found that they don't really affect using the device (typing or other screen input). While I haven't used one for the iPhone, I've been pretty happy with the iVolution series on the other phones I've owned. I can't comment on the Home button issue.

As for flap vs open, I'd always prefer the open. I really don't want to open a flap to see who's calling or to see a new message. Having a flap makes using the phone a two handed operation, while not having one makes it a one handed operation. For me, not having a flap is the way to go! Additionally, if you are concerned about damaging the screen, use a screen protector.

7. smarter macrumors member

I have the iVolution without the flap and I am very happy with mine. Yes it adds bulk but not too much I think. This is mine in brown and blue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. friareunuch macrumors member

magnets?

on the ivolution top SP, is there a magnet that keeps the flap closed? i love the case, but i'm wondering if a magnet would mess up the 3GS ...

9. Ben C. macrumors member

Ben C.

No, it's a curved piece that clips via tension to the top of the iPhone.

10. Xanderprime macrumors member

I love my vaja ivolution sp case. Good protection when closed. I find that the flap does not get in the way when open. Also you can open the flap one handed by gripping the sides with your right hand and pushing the back of the upper right corner (of the cover) with your index finger. I do it all the time. I was debating on putting on a screen protector but since the case covers the screen when closed I decided against it (plus I like the new coating on the 3 gs).

I've has the case since May this year, and so far no blemishes or problems whatsoever and I'm not being overly careful either.

When open it doesn't protect all of the bezel though. The top, top sides, and bottom near the port are exposed when open.