Validity of US Applecare on UK desktop.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ggulliver, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ggulliver macrumors member

If I buy iMac Applecare from AppleUS, is it valid on an iMac bought and located in the UK?

I've read conflicting opinions...
    How some folk have successfully registered but not yet claimed.
    How the situation used to differ between desktop and laptop - in that laptops had worldwide cover because it was expected that people would travel with them, but desktops didn't - and how things had now changed so there was now no difference between desktops and laptops.

I've seen that last point interpreted as: 'desktops as well as portables are now covered 'outside the original country of purchase' - which would seem to suggest that if you buy a desktop and Applecare in the UK and take it overseas it'll be covered - but perhaps not if you buy and use a desktop in the UK, but have US-bought Applecare.'

The Apple sites are confusing:
    The sales page notes: You get global repair coverage through convenient service options. Apple recommends that you purchase AppleCare in your country of residence, because each AppleCare Protection Plan has terms and conditions specific to consumers of the country or region in which the plan is offered. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details.

And those Terms and Conditions seem to negate worldwide validity:
    AppleCare_Protect_Plan_NA_en.pdf states on page 6 General Terms 7d
    'This Plan is offered and valid only in the fifty states of the United States of America, the District of Columbia and Canada.'

The FAQ state: If you take your Apple hardware with you when you travel and happen to need repair service, the AppleCare Protection Plan offers global repair coverage.

I've seen that FAQ statement interpreted as 'you may have to ship your desktop to the US for repair'.

I'm tending to think sensibly with buy your AppleCare plan in the country where you'll be using your device.' and spend the extra money on a UK Applecare for my UK bought-and-used desktop'. But, I'm cheap and like the savings available through buying US-issued Applecare from eBay.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe it should work; known other people who have done this.