Valkyrie w/ Tom Cruise

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maceleven, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm not.

Linkety

(I hate to make this a Pol/Sci thread, but that is my reasoning)

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

^^ It just strikes me that there are more effective ways of making a point... :confused:

I've seen a lot of Cruise movies - I don't care for him as an actor (he can act?! :eek:) - but he just happened to be in them. Top Gun is in my library, fr'instance.

I'll wait for Valkyrie to hit DVD then I might take a peek. It looks interesting, at least from a historical point of view.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh boy, Tom Cruise channels Mr. Dress-Up. :rolleyes:

Cool uniforms, but I'll pass.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would like to see the movie, but having Tom Cruise in the movie is a downside. :eek:

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm not even interested in the movie....I'll wait for it to hit PPV.

I will be checking out The Sprit and The Curious Case though.

Bless

6. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

If it was anyone BUT Tom Cruise starring in this, I probably would have seen it -- as I think it would be interesting from a historical perspective (even if it's overblown in typical Hollywood style). That's not an anti-Scientology statement (though there's not much good to say there), but an anti-Tom statement. I just can't watch anything with him in it without it really affecting my movie-watching experience in a negative way...

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I won't see it today, but I would like to see it.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed. I'd probably go and see it one day, or at least rent it on DVD, if Tom Cruise wasn't the star. It's just a huge turn-off, like when you hear a plot of a future release that has a lot of potential, and then you hear that Nic Cage or Jason Statham is starring in it.

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

The thing that will bother me about the film is that half of the cast is British w/ British accents playing Germans and then there's Cruise with an American accent playing a German. Singer should have had them do the German accent, damnit.

10. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

If it's a good movie then I'll watch it.

I don't understand what this obsession with boycotting Tom Cruise's movies.

He's an amazing actor, as long as he can act and make good movies, who the hell cares what crazy things he's done in real life, he is an actor, when you pay to watch his movies, you're not paying him to be your friend, or your dad. Watch the movie, enjoy it and be done with it.

We watch movies to get away from the realities of life.

He may be a psycho or dangerous person, but as long as he does a good job in what I pay him to do (act) then I'll watch his movies, you can also judge him and say Tom Cruise is a jackass, I personally think he's flipped out, but Ethan Hunt hasn't, and has nothing to do with Cruise in my opinion. So as long as he makes nice movies, I'll keep watching.

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm not seeing it. Maybe when it comes to Blu-Ray but honestly, I'm sorta sick of Tom Cruise.

12. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

The movie is very accurate and detailed from a historical perspective. Anyone who's boycotting this movie strictly because of Scientology is delusional and should really get over themselves. I personally despise Scientology and hope all those brainwashing *******s take a long walk off a short pier. That said, Tom Cruise makes a sh*tload of money anyway, your $5 doesn't matter to him.

The movie isn't some Scientology propaganda flick, it's a historical account of the uprisings and rebellion in Nazi Germany, fer' Christ's sake. Anybody who could watch a movie and come out thinking "WOW I SHOULD PURGE MY THETANS" was too far-gone, gullible and bereft of critical thinking skills in the first place.

P.S. Nobody's boycotting Robert Downey, Jr. anymore. Why? Because he makes good movies and he doesn't drag his personal life into those movies. Watching "Iron Man" doesn't mean you're going to go home, shoot up some heroine, snort some crack and beat your wife, does it? The same applies here.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I can barely stand Tom Cruise as it is, but he's not even speaking the right language in this movie.

Seriously, we're supposed to listen to Germans speak English with British accents? I don't think so.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't mind Tom Cruise. We tried to see it at our neighborhood theater today, but it wasn't playing for another hour and a half, so we skipped it.

15. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

So wait until the DVD comes out and buy the German version. :p

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Honestly, that's not a half-bad idea.

However, the producer's lack of interest in properly portraying the right language tells me historical accuracy wasn't his first priority, which is a shame.

17. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I watched it today with my dad and enjoyed it.

18. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Looks like a good movie. I really want to see it. I love the WWII genre, my favorite.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why do people think he's an amazing actor? He's like Samuel L. Jackson, except without the style or height.

20. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...there have been so many films made about WWII yet this is the first to focus on this story - I've not seen it yet but the story has a lot of potential to make it a good film. If the word on the street is that it's good then I'll go see it, if not I'll wait until it hits Netflix...oh yeah!

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Annoying that it wasn't all in German but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

22. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Amazing actor and good movies are both debatable. I think Tom Cruise, as he currently is, is a terrible actor. He was alright pre-Jerry Maguire, but I wouldn't pay to see him in this. I almost came away laughing from the previews, I don't think he's believable at all and I think he was the absolute wrong person for the role. In fact, I'd probably have been more likely to have seen it had they cast Michael Richards instead of Cruise.

23. maceleven thread starter macrumors 6502

I Saw It

it was pretty intresting pretty cool movie 3 1/2 stars:cool:

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When the movie is finally in the free tv rotation, and there is nothing else on.