Value for money: Core 2 Duo gen vs i5/i7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vexecuter, Apr 18, 2010.

1. vexecuter macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2010
    Hey there,

So close to buying an i5 2.53ghz, 500GB hd, 4GB Ram.. then I thought, I could save a packet if I went for the last gen macbook pro.

I'm wanting to do audio recording, a bit of non-intense video, and a bit of gaming (Unreal Tournament 3, FPSes etc) eventually and want to run it into the ground (my current machine is 7 years old).

What are the reasons not to go for a Core 2 Duo over the i5/i7 on a performance/cost basis? Educate me...

Many thanks,
  2. bunit macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2007
    Westerly RI
    I bought a refurbished Macbook Pro 2.8 Ghz with the 500 GB har-drive because of the money savings. I just think it's a great idea, and Apple technology never really gets to out of date, they just seem like you can keep around longer than Windows computers.
  3. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale - FL
    You can go with this if your use is moderate (low demand on the video card) $1529 for: 2.66 C2D + 4GB + GeForce 9600mGT 256mb

You can go with this if your use is heavy (higher demand video card) $1779 for: 29 C2D + 4GB + GeForce 9600mGT 512mb

It all depends on how much power you really need. Don't forget, of you're a student you can get the student discount here if you decide for a brand new one.

Just so you know, I bought a refurbished mbp last year, it had the 9600m GT 512mb, I used to play call of duty modern warfare 2 just fine on it. I couldn't use the max resolution or have every single extra graphics feature ON, but I could play it with no lags on a medium resolution. SO I hope the new 330m GT 512mb will give me a little more power.

Get the newest one if money is no subject or if you're upgrading from an older mac like I did. I don't keep my computers for over a year, I sell them fast so I can always have the latest model and not lose a lot of money. Same with cars, etc...

Good luck.