Value in iPod with 3.1.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BiggAW, Oct 8, 2011.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I'm wondering if there is any extra value in an iPod Touch 3rd Gen 64GB still on 3.1.3 as opposed to 5?

I'm asking because I'm seriously considering switching from Android to an iPhone 4S due to AT&T's lackluster Android phone selection, Siri, and a few other things, and I'd like to evaluate some of the Google Sync and other capabilities in iOS 5, and the easiest way to do that is to do it on my iPod Touch, since it can do everything except SMS and GPS that the iPhone can do (well, I heard it makes phone calls too. Anyone still do that these days :p ).

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There isn't any reason not to upgrade your iPod Touch too iOS 5. It'll likely run a bit faster and you'll be able to use newer apps from the App Store.

3. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm thinking resale value, or is 3.1.3 so old at this point that no one cares? Don't care about new apps, that's the developer's problem if they won't run on 3.1.3, not mine.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you have your SHSH blobs for 3.1.3, then there's nothing to lose. But 3.1.3 doesn't increase its resale value.

5. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, I'll have to figure out how to get the SHSH. I figured as much...

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Since Apple isn't signing 3.1.3 anymore, you'll have to use iFaith to get them from your iPod. To get all of your available ones and 4.3.5, use TinyUmbrella.

7. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, thanks! I could almost have my potential future iPhone set up before I even get it. How weird is that?