Value lost in 6 months?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by splitpea, Dec 10, 2009.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

About how much value does a new Mac lose in the first 6 months of its life? I'm thinking about buying a refurb Macbook (non-unibody white one) to tide me over until the new MBP models are released in the spring, but the feasibility would depend on the Macbook's resale value.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The white MacBook that was updated in May 2009, cost 999USD then, now sports a resale value of 730USD.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My guess would be that a new one would lose by the refurb price +10% (to compensate for warranty and use). So one that sold new for $1000 and refurb for $850 would be $750-800.

4. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

So a refurb loses less value than a new one, because it's already taken most of the hit for being "driven off the lot", so to speak?

Being able to resell at a $50 loss really doesn't sound too bad; $250+ on the other hand, does.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. That's why you should never pay retail for a Mac unless you really want the latest. Even the new iMacs are already in refurb, however.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have a refurb MacBook Pro that I've been very happy with (as others have reported, Apple refurbs are literally exactly like new). However, refurbs have their own model numbers that identify them as such, and I wonder if, when it comes time to sell it, I won't be able to fetch as much for a used refurb as I could for a used "normal" machine.

I'll be very reluctant to sell mine, though -- mine was the last generation MBP model before they went to that all-glass glossy contraption with no trackpad button. Not a fan of that design...

7. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I bought a mid-2009 MacBook 2.13 refurb for $750 late this summer and was offered $725 for it last week. Didn't take it - it's a very good system.