Value of 2012 MBPro 15 After Liquid Spill?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Christopher11, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Christopher11 macrumors regular

Christopher11

My sister, a college prof in Northern California, unfortunately had a liquid spill on her 2012 MB Pro 15" with 4 GB of RAM. She's already bought a brand new one, up and running. They took out the HD for her so she could keep her data.

It didn't power up of course; they told her 700. dollar fix. I understand it's probably the Logic board that is shorted out.

I just want to help her reclaim any money she might be able to make on salvage: the battery, RAM if it's still good, etc. What do you feel is the best way to proceed on this? Ebay, or something like it? Thank you in advance for any replies.

please find serial and info below;

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

Serial: C02J9B3JDV33

CPU speed: - 2.3 GHz
    CPU Type: - Intel Core i7 (3rd Gen) (Ivy Bridge)
    CPU Model: - 3615QM
    Cores: - 4
    Bus Speed: - 5 GT/s DMI
    Cache: - 6 MB L3 cache
    64-bit: - Yes
    Turbo Boost: - Up to 3.3 GHz

2. jerryk macrumors 68040

Check eBay to see what other MBPs sold for parts are going for.

3. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

The liquid could have killed other components. Because of that it may not have much value save for the shell/case. To be certain would require thorough testing.

4. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

i see. So you can't just sell the RAM, for example?

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Where I come from,a short circuit laptop is mostly either thrown in the recycle container at the local garbage dump,or used as a feeding table for dogs or cats,also seen one used as a door stopper. The value is probably none at all.

6. leman macrumors G3

Just auction it on eBay. Might still get something for it.

7. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Be upfront if you go the sell route. Inform potential buyers of the liquid spill and the laptop is non-functional. Also include all sales final to hopefully protect yourself.

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Most of the value remaining could come from the display and the outer aluminum unibody frame itself...provided it is in excellent, near-new, or like-new condition, and provided the screen does not have scratching/flaking on it. If in rougher cosmetic shape, you could be talking $100, if that. If in like-new cosmetic shape with a charger in near-new condition, you could be talking a good bit more.