Value of 2nd Generation vs. 3rd

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by LFSimon, Jan 17, 2013.

1. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

I noticed on eBay that 2nd generation units are selling for big bucks, nearly twice the price of a new 3rd generation.

There is obviously something I'm missing here and I presume it is related to its ability to run hacked software.

Will someone please tell me if this is correct and my older 2nd generation is worth a premium. It is in great shape and I have the original box and everything.

Since I have no interest in running hacked operating system on it, if this is the case I'll sell it and buy a newer one to replace it.

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Yes, ATV2 can be jailbroken. That's why it sells at a premium to ATV3.

3. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Yes it is because the ATV2 can be jailbroken. I actually found someone recently selling the ATV2 on Craiglist for 80 bucks because they bought the ATV3, I went and bought it that minute.

You can sell your ATV2 for 200 and get the ATV3 for free and still have money left over. If you are not going to JB it I would sell it for sure, because once the ATV3 is jailbreakable your ATV2 will be worth nothing.

4. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Yes that is correct. Sell that ATV2 for $200 (or near that) and then buy a refurbished ATV3 from Apple.com for $85.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD199LL/A

And after that you will have basically gotten use out of an ATV2 and then an ATV3 for free!

(Originally you spent ~$100 on the ATV2. But then if you sell it for $200 you get your original money back PLUS another $100, which you use to buy the ATV3. At which point it's like you never spent any money at all!)