$ Value of a 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 262Runnr, Jun 25, 2009.

1. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

...so I just upgraded to a 3GS last night & have my old 3G just sitting here...I'm probably going to give it to my wife but I have a couple of questions.

We have an AT&T family plan right now and she is currently using a Blackberry on the plan without a data package, I obviously have a data plan on my iPhone.
    If I give her my old 3G phone would I then need to add a data package for the $30/mo. or could she just use the 3G without a data plan and just access the Wi-Fi without accessing the Edge or 3G network?

Secondly, I checked on Ebay and the 3G's are selling for around $300 & up. Why are they so much when you can buy a new one for $99?
    Heck, if you are buying an iPHone you are going to have to commit to some carrier for service??? Is it worth that kind of money just because you don't want to use AT&T?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're confusing rebated price (with a 2 year contract) with actual price. You cannot buy an iPhone without a contract for 99 bucks hence the higher value

3. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

yea the reason they are so much is they are unlocked and come without a contract, i just recently got my replaced so i am planning on selling it before i put any wear and tear to it

4. 262Runnr thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

I understand the contract/rebate thing, it just isn't an issue for me as I will end up paying some carrier a monthly service anyway.

...Any thoughts about the additional $30 data plan or will I just be able to use the 3G without accessing the Edge or 3G network for data? I'd love to use the 3G without a data plan and not get hit for some ridiculous bill at the end of the month for data usage...

5. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

If it's on AT&T i believe they do frequent checks and will conveniently add the 3G data plan onto your existing plan if you don't already have it.

So in short: you need the data plan.