Value of a NIB Sealed 1st Gen 5GB iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Chiggs, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Chiggs macrumors member

Any input on the value of a Brand New, Sealed In Box 1st edition Apple iPod? I've been looking for one for a while as a collectors item and finally found one on E-Bay.

I've bid it up to almost $400 but still under the reserve. I've sent the seller an E-Mail asking what the reserve is but wanted some thoughts from the forumn. I think I'd be willing to go up to $500 or so...

Interesting that it's over the original selling price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sealed-Box-...7QQihZ018QQcategoryZ67835QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

:eek:
    err... the less said the better. Yes, I know people pay $100s for Star Wars toys in their original package, but...

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Keep your money in your pocket... where it belongs.. I'd rather buy a mini

4. reubs macrumors 68000

While this would be neat to have, I'm not sure what the point of it being NIB would be. It's not like a collectible toy...it's technology that will just lose value over time. however, something is only worth what someone else will pay for it...

Good luck.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

At this point, it's not the technology that someone is bidding on - it's the sentimental value. Collectors pay top-dollar for items like this.. not to use, but to have. I wouldn't be surprised if someday this type of thing is worth QUITE a bit of money..

6. reubs macrumors 68000

You think so? I've never been a collector of electronic stuff...just sports cards and stuff, but I guess that if there is a market out there people will pay for it. I'm just speaking as someone from the outside looking in.

7. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I saw one of these NIB sell on eBay for around $350 several months back. Geez, I can't imagine what this one is going to finish at if it's already at $380 with 6 days still remaining in the auction.

8. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Last month someone had one up and it went for just over $260. I would pass on this and just try to find one later.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A first Gen iPod NiB, (although it reminds me of picking up my first Gen within the first week and being the coolest kid on the block), anyway. Having a perfect condition iPod for a collection is cool, having one NiB will be painful, as far as the price, and the need to open it.

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You've got that right. Especially if he actually thinks it's worth $2,399 like he says in the auction listing. I wish him luck finding anyone that will come remotely close to even paying 25-30% of that amount...