Value Of a PowerMac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CountMaxMore, Dec 21, 2014.

1. CountMaxMore macrumors member

CountMaxMore

I have a PowerMac G4 that I would like to sell but I am unsure of the value, The PowerMac has a 466 Mhz G4 processor 640 mb of ram and 60 gig hd it is the Digital Audio model I have the original box with software manuals, original keyboard and mouse, and all original install dvds/cds how much do you think I could sell this for?

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Those kind of machines are very often donated for free.

When they are sold they sometimes go for like 40-50€ in my country when people who have absolutely no idea what they are buying bid for those machines. So what you can get really depends on where and for whom you are selling those... It is of course very nice to have all original stuff and that might make the whole package very interesting for collectors.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just for the Mac itself (keyboard and mouse included) I'd say about $25.

But you also have the manuals, original box and the original discs. The discs alone are worth something since it's hard to find older versions nowadays.

So, all total that probably doubles the value. You could probably ask $50 for it and reasonably expect to get no less than $40.

When you advertise make sure that you indicate this is a PowerPC Mac. Lots of uninformed sellers out there now that are selling off these older Macs thinking that they are recent Intel versions (if they even know the difference) and demanding outrageous prices. Some are even scamming others because they know the difference and want to make a buck off Apple's name.

To the right person this is a valuable Mac. The CPU is upgradeable (you can drop in a Sonnet or other type of 1.0+GHZ processor), the Mac is expandable to 2GB of ram and you can drop in video/USB 2.0/SATA upgrade cards as well.

Good luck!

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Small correction-these models can only go up to 1.5gb as they have 3 RAM slots.

All that said, the others above have given you solid price advice. The one thing I'd add is that to the right person(and I'm one of those right people) the box adds a small amount to the value. The original packaging is a huge bonus for me any time I buy an old Mac, although the size of the packaging for towers limits my ability to collect too much.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Damn, you're right! I always forget that there were four different models in the same case.

No offense to anyone here, but the graphite models were really not my cup of tea.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The DA is kinda-sorta a Quicksilver in a Graphite case. There are some changes from it to the Quicksilver, but the logic board really has more in common with the QS than its immediate predecessor the GigE.

Although Quicksilvers are my favorite, I admit to having a real liking for the Graphite case models. I'd still like to find a Yikes! to round out my collection.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! The 350mhz G4 we have at work is a Yikes. Running Tiger with 92mb ram. I run it headless (no video card, OSXVNC app) and control it through Chicken of the VNC.

It's our Applescript server which processes photos and moves ad proofs and other important files around the network.

It's been running 24/7 since I was hired (10.5 years ago) and was being used before that.

8. CountMaxMore thread starter macrumors member

CountMaxMore

thanks for all your input i posted the computer up for 50$ obo

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Where are you located?

10. CountMaxMore thread starter macrumors member

CountMaxMore

Canada Nova Scotia

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A bit far.