Value of a Powermac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aislepathlight, Aug 1, 2010.

1. aislepathlight macrumors member

There is a Powermac G5 available in my area for $450. Its a dual core 2.3 and a nvidia GeForce 6600 and he is including a 20 inch ACD. I don't know if its a great deal, but I think it would be great, because I could build something wild in that case later.

THoughts?

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

aluminum apple cinema or the acrylic one?

if its the aluminum id offer them $350-$400. acrylic, maybe $350 for it all.

it hard to say since there isnt much value left in those machines. theyre not terrible but your options are limited obviously.

3. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

If he's selling it for $450 with the monitor go for it. If they're separate do not.

4. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

^^ What he said. That's a great deal considering that everything around me is going for about $600-$800.

5. Awesomely macrumors newbie

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

How much RAM and HD space on the G5? Seems like a pretty fair price to me if its for both items. Acrylic/Aluminum doesn't really matter too much as they both have the same resolution. I'd almost bet its Al just because the card on the G5 is going to be dual DVI and no ADC.

7. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

I wouldn't do it

I deal on the used market all the time (everyday) if you want a G5 you might as well wait (if you have the pateince) and pick one up for super cheap

as for monitors, i know the old school CD's are cool but for instance i bought a 19" wide acer for $60. i threw it on an articulating arm and boom, hook up any powermac