Value of an MBA degree

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eric/, Jul 12, 2012.

1. eric/, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

eric/ Guest

eric/

Thoughts?

I've constantly heard that an MBA is one of those high-demand things that lead to good paying jobs and what not.

I'm just curious as to what others experience obtaining this degree is.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Perhaps you should amend your thread title just a little?

I read it and thought you meant to ask a question about the value of certain Apple product (which, as it happens, I also own, which is why I clicked). Might I suggest that your (amended) thread title read instead: "Value of a MBA Degree"?

I've not studied in that area - although I have taught at a number of universities for the best part of twenty years. Re MBAs, my understanding is that the quality of the various degree programmes can vary considerably. Some are excellent, others a lot less so. Most are expensive.

Therefore, I would seek out places which are known to offer good MBA programmes. The other thing - just a general piece of advice - which I would offer you is this: don't even think of doing it unless you actually have some interest in the field of study. It is much easier to be motivated if you are interested in what you are studying, and simply choosing to study something which is in 'high demand' and which may lead to a well paying job is no substitute for interest in your studies and the motivation that comes with an interest.

Most MBA courses are very demanding, can be quite difficult and often are extremely competitive. Embarking upon such a course, simply because it is in 'high demand' leading to a well-paying job, will not compensate you for doing something you may come to dislike.

Research what it entails, what you will be studying, (and how), and ask yourself whether you really wish to do it.

If it is something that you will find interesting, challenging and ultimately rewarding, then, by all means, go for it.

Meanwhile, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Cool thanks for the advice. I changed the thread title too.

I was just curious because I've been researching various masters programs and sorta trying to plan ahead as to what exactly I'm going to do when I graduate. Everything is completely up in the air, but I'm trying to gather as much information now as possible in order to make informed, good decisions later.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The degree isn't as valuable as the professional network you built earning it.