Value of Dual 1.8ghz G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imacfreak, Sep 3, 2007.

1. imacfreak macrumors member

imacfreak

I have a dual 1.8ghz G5 I'm trying to sell because I bought a new imac. "Mac of All Trades", an online store, offered me $800 for it. Its got 1.25GB RAM, 560 GB HD. I had originally been asking $950 for the G5, but I'm wondering if its better to just sell it to this online store. Is it really worth $950?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I just saw one tonight at a store called Sofmap.

They were selling it for 200,000 yen (about $1,740 at current exchange rates).

But that's Japan prices. No idea in the states. How about looking at eBay for an idea?

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You could probably get between $800-$1,000 on eBay. More if you have extra software installed (e.g., Office, Photoshop, etc...). :)

4. imacfreak thread starter macrumors member

imacfreak

I've looked on ebay. The "buy it now" prices are around $1000, but no one is buying. All the ones that have bids on them are stuck around $400/$500. I dont see one thats close to the end with a high bid. Maybe people just dont want G5's anymore, and no one is buying. So, thats why I was thinking I should just sell it to the online store. Really, when you think about it, why would anyone want to spend $1000 on a G5 when you can get a mini for half that, or an iMac for alittle bit more?

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

While your g5 isn't wanted, doesn't mean it isn't powerful. The G5 is still faster than that silly macmini, and the imac is just ever so slightly faster.

I have 1.8dual PMG5 w/ 2gb ram and a 7800gs nvidia agp card hacked in there, except for raw processing cpu power the G5 wins against my MBP CD. (and even then there are bus limitation / its got laptop parts)

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Because eBay prices can be WAY out of line with reality sometimes. To get a feel, look at what they actually sell for. Don't discount the last 5 minutes of buying frenzy when an auction nears its end.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That is so true. The prices at eBay really change in the last few minutes. In many cases they can double or even triple in price.

8. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Even the dual 1.66 mini toasts a dual G5 1.8

9. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

That's only true for processing power. The GMA 950 is just plain baaad. I'd take a G5 over a 1.66 Mini anyday, however now that they're C2D it's something to be concidered. But that's not what you were asking. I'd say its max resale value is 850-900 if you expect it to sell; while its actually worth more. The G5 processor was pretty amazing for its time.

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You can search for completed auctions, then you can see what price range they are actually selling for.

11. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

False. Just false.

12. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Careful

Dont be so quick to judge, I sold my G5 DP 2.0 (ATI 9800xt, 2gb) after seeing the 1.5GHz intel mac mini (solo) in my signature keep up with it encoding videos.

G5's were great in their day, but its 4 year old tech. (purchased mine in Dec 2003)

Let alone the 10x power requirements of a fully loaded G5 encoding, vs an Intel Mini.

13. MikeL macrumors 6502

My experience is similar. My low-end MacBook is faster for most tasks than my DP 2.0 G5 with a killer GPU (x850XT) ever was. Once the new MPs are out, the G5 is out the door.

14. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Back to your question, after you look at the eBay trends which I am going to guess are going to come in a little shy of what the online store is offering you, I would accept their offer. In it's day, it was a nice system, going forward, it is now showing it's age.

15. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

But you cant compare a G5 to a mini, I have a dual 2.3GHZ G5, and it is faster than my MBP 2.0GHZ. Dont forget two 3.5 inch Sata bays, dedicated video, faster optical drive, more than one monitor, FW800 and PCIX slots, optical audio in and out. 8gb max ram. So and upgraded G5 is a far better than any mac mini.
    I wouldnt change my G5 for a mini. For an imac yes, in fact am doing that.
    Dont forget the G5 FSB is greater than the C2D.

16. MikeL macrumors 6502

If you use all of those features, then that's great. Given that you're moving to the iMac, I take it you don't use PCI cards? For plenty of uses a Mini can be a far better, faster machine than a G5. When it comes to processor-heavy tasks, the Mini is a better machine. Such is the march of technology.

FSB speeds mean nothing when it comes to actually doing things. It's all part of the package.

17. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

But downconverting a HDV (1080i) movie to SD (Dvcam) in FCS, my Dual G5 was almost a 15% faster than my 2.0GHZ MBP.
    A G5 is a fast machine anyway, snappy and will last.
    Ok, I love my G5 that cost me a fortune, but maybe a Mini in some just processor task is faster. (the C2D).
    Anyway, my quad MP is even faster....=P