Value of keeping older iPhones around?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lokerd, Oct 9, 2011.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

It is getting kind of ridiculous with the number of older iOS devices I have.

Currently, I have an iP4 but it is not my phone...just using the iPad's 3g simm. I use this ALONG with a Sprint Palm Centro. But, I hope to consolidate devices when the iP4s arrives next week.

So, I will have a iP4 that is on 4.2.1 that has served me VERY well as a internet camera phone (I am a photographer) enjoying immensely the geotagging, ProHDR, and Pano shooting and immediate uploading from the iP4 right along with my DSLRs, etc.

But I am trying to decide what to do with the iP4. I paid a bundle for it (like $450 I think) in December. It has value, but should I sell it? Looking at prices on Ebay, looks like mint condition nets $325-$350 (still amazes me how people advertise BROKEN screens as "otherwise working perfect"...makes me think of the Budlight commercial with a hitchhiker with a chainsaw).

But I also have an older original iPhone that I bought as an alternative to buying an iPod with out a camera. it currently is my clock radio alarm clock.

but I also have an iPad.

My wife has an iPad and also a original iPhone for a clock radio with camera and an iTouch 4. And, she wants an iP4s as soon as she can upgrade off of her non-smart cell phone. Maybe iP5 will be out by then and I can swap them.

Anyway, I am getting a wee bit overwhelmed for sure.

Anybody have any suggestions? What are you doing with your olde devices these days? Seems like selling the iP4 makes the most sense because the value of the original iP is pretty low. But, it would be nice to keep the iP4 in service as a mini computer and replace the bedside older original iP that is pretty slow these days.

Thoughts???

Thanks!

2. urbanleopard macrumors member

urbanleopard

I always buy SIM free and I always churn my old devices as soon as they are replaced. So my IP4 is already on eBay for instance.

This method usually means a respectable selling price as long as the device is mint, boxed etc. and of course I can buy an airtime/data plan at SIM free rates. So the total cost of ownership is quite low and of course you can chop/change as often as Apple's product cycle demands.

3. 2010RS macrumors 6502

If your old devices are just sitting around collecting dust and you don't use them, then sell them. It's not a difficult conundrum.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Right? I have all these useless devices, oh what do I do. First world problems.

5. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I am pretty sure anybody getting an iP4s has minor living problems.

Anyway, I thought it was a fairly legit question.

Iphone 1 and iphone 4 in minor use in various places. Just trying to figure out which one to get rid of, in light of other iOS devices around.

Thanks anyway.

6. Captain America macrumors 6502

To me, the obvious answer is "out with the old, in with the new"

7. dba415 macrumors 6502

Sell your original iPhones, then you'll need an alarm clock so I'll trade you an alarm clock for the iP4.;)