Price Advice Value of Macbook 2009

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ayemerica, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Ayemerica, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011

Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Hello everyone i was thinking of selling my old Macbook 2009, i usually just give them to a family member but could use the money for college coming up and my ipad is doing me just fine.

I have SL on it, should i put lion on it to make it more attractive to buyers? Thank you all for your help

2009 Macbook, no scratches, no dents.
    13.3 inch display.
    500GB 7400rpm hard drive.
    4GB ram

2. thebignewt macrumors regular

I just bought a 13.5" 2009 refurb, 160GB hdd, 2.13 MHz core duo, Leopard. It was university lease. $500. Year warranty. I'd not upgrade to Lion because some people like me have already done that and we get free upgrades to 5 machines for $30.

3. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

I would hold onto it. There is no question you'll need a legitimate computer. An iPad alone will not work. You don't want to have to be borrowing computers/going to the computer lab all the time to type up papers.

Just two cents from a recent grad.

4. Ayemerica thread starter macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I bought a Mac mini a few months ago, and have a traveler bag for it. I was going to use that as my main computer in my dorm. Is that not a good idea? My other two iMac's are being used in the house so i can not take them. I was given a 21.5 inch touch of color samsung monitor and was going to use that with the mac mini.

5. thebignewt macrumors regular

I bet the Mac Mini would work fine. Laptops are all the rage for college students primarily because of portability. I doubt that many actually haul them to class and use them to take notes and stuff. I know my kids never did.

6. Ayemerica thread starter macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Yeah my cousins always tell me how their laptops were more of a desktop on their desks in their dorms.

7. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

A little late on this post, but being able to take your laptop to the library to work on papers is a huge benefit.