Value of MacBook Pro with bad graphics card (recalled)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bballhoop, Apr 7, 2015.

1. bballhoop macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 MacBook pro from a family member that has been dead for quite some time. At first it showed strange graphics like lines and whatnot. Then it would freeze on startup every time. At this point it will not turn on even though it shows the battery is charging.
    Apple issued a recall for it, shown here:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203254

What would something like this be worth? I'm currently working on removing the hard drive to get the data off. I know it is hard to tell without having the full specs but I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I for one wouldn't be able to put a price on it without more info on specs, but one thing is for sure: it'll be worth more if you get it fixed and working. If it's not booting, the best you can do is sell it for parts, because any buyer would have to gamble that that the GPU is truly the problem, and that Apple really would fix it.

If YOU get it fixed and working, then all doubt is removed, and the value goes up.

3. Airboy1466, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

At this point not much of anything and even if fixed no more than $400 I would assume

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'd say it's worth next to nothing considering how ancient it is.

5. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Think of it this way. How much would YOU pay for it in its current condition?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This

$50 maybe for parts for an enthusiast fixing up some old machines.

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I don't think I would even pay $50 in its current condition.
    I think it's time for the OP to just let it go. Maybe recycle it or give it to someone who is willing to mess with it.

8. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Non-working, and not even unibody ... Just recycle it, or give it away. I wouldn't even go near it if somebody paid me.