Value of Macintosh 512k/w internal HyperDrive

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Grandknight, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Grandknight macrumors newbie

Today I bought, for $60, a slew of old apple products off of Craigslist. These items are:
    Hardware: ImageWriter 2, Apple Personal Modem, Apple 2 UniDisk 3.5 (external floppy drive), a replacement board for the UniDisk, A guided tour of mac tape and floppy, Mac 512k/w internal HyperDrive, keyboard and mouse​
    Software: system software, MacPaint, MacWrite​
    Manuals were included for all products but no boxes. Everything is in very good shape, even fading on computer, mouse, keyboard, and printer. The computer seems to have one problem, when inserting a disk it fails to drop down, which is required to read the disk. I have tried holding the disk down with a finger and the computer attempts to read the disk but claims disk is bad. This happens with every disk. I would like to know several things.

1. How rare is this computer?
    2. Can I fix the problem with the disk drive?
    3. Should I fix the problem or sell computer as is?
    4. What can I expect to get for the computer as is? Fixed?
    5. What are any of the other products worth?

2. redking31591 macrumors 6502

I sold a Mac 128k with an image writer, no software or anything with it, for about $400 two years ago if that gives you a range.

3. Grandknight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That does help. One question where is the best place to sell a old computer? (eBay, Craigslist, other?) Update to drive problem: Drive has now accepted System Disk and has moved it onto the reader. However the reader seems to need lube. It's not spinning up properly. Worse however is the fact that the disk is now stuck in the drive. Manual and force ejecting raise the disk up but don't pop it out and there seems to be some thing holding the disk in the back so I can't pull it out. The mechanism that raises the disk also refuses to stay up after ejecting. It wants to slide back onto the reader immediately after it finishes rising. Help!

4. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Mac 512 w/Hyperdrive

Did you sell it? Was it 10MB or 20MB? Did it work?

5. SafariX macrumors member

Thats a steal. Id say at least 8-10x that amount.

6. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

You think a Mac 128K with Imagewriter printer is worth $4,000! Let me put together a package to sell to you!

7. steveca macrumors 6502

Some computers are more valuable than others. A good 128k should deserve to be a 1000$ in my opinion as it is an important piece...

8. CiderFan macrumors newbie

9. tums macrumors member

That is incredible. I should have kept my old Apple products.

10. goMac macrumors 603

11. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I say this fellow is quite lucky. To top it off the unit have slightly defective parts, For 1K I demand everything to work perfectly.

Not a lot buyers willing to buy one for that price. I check listings once in a while and a lot sellers try to sell their original Mac for less and still find no bidders.