Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

engaged44

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Just curious I bought my 2010 15 inch MBP 11 months ago and soon it will be a year old. Still runs ****ing amazingly and has one small scratch on it.

How much do you think this computer is worth now? How much (if maintained well of coarse) will it be in 3 years?

I plan on getting another macbook pro in 3 years once I have graduated from college, assuming better machines will be out then.

aramosc

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
San Diego, CA
Just curious I bought my 2010 15 inch MBP 11 months ago and soon it will be a year old. Still runs ****ing amazingly and has one small scratch on it.

How much do you think this computer is worth now? How much (if maintained well of coarse) will it be in 3 years?

I plan on getting another macbook pro in 3 years once I have graduated from college, assuming better machines will be out then.

It usually holds up.. of course not as goot as desktops but you can sell it for some good money on craigslist or eBay.. but for a 4 year old computer might be a little hard to sell.. I usually trade my macs within 3 years and get good money for them..

engaged44

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
It usually holds up.. of course not as goot as desktops but you can sell it for some good money on craigslist or eBay.. but for a 4 year old computer might be a little hard to sell.. I usually trade my macs within 3 years and get good money for them..
I guess I should just trade this bad boy in another 2 years then. I like how it holds high value so you can always be kept up to date with new technology :)

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Right now, if it's stock, with box, restore discs, etc., probably $1100-1200. Apple sells them refurbed for $1269, with full one year warranty, and so you're probably a bit under that.

In 3 years, probably $700-800 or so, though it is hard to project. If you look at first generation unibodies, they are around $700-800 now depending on condition, etc. And right now that seems to the floor for 15" unibodies, whereas the non-unibody models are bottoming out at $400-500 or so.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
If you want, Best Buy allows trade in of computers and other electronics and you can see what they would give you for yours here

They offered $669 for my mid-2009 MBP (17", 8GB RAM). Rip-off. One can get 2x that on ebay. BB does this "service" to make themselves money. Not to be altruistic to their customers. They offered $200 for a virtually never-used 2010 Sony VPCFM115, which could fetch $500~$600 on ebay as well, and still sells for #1000 refurbished.

Their extended warranty plan is a joke as well (they match "comparable parts", not brands, so a Macbook could be replaced with a Sony and it was fun getting the rep tongue-tied over the issue as well...)

zwodubber

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
PA
I sold my 15" 2007 2.4 core 2 duo a few weeks ago for $675 on craigslist the second day I advertised it

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
It's like a car, looses a lot of value when a new model comes out, but has a linear decrease in value as time goes on. Unlike Windows machines, there's still a magical floor which most MacBook Pros don't go lower than. Even a first-gen Core Duo MacBook Pro could go for $400 today, and that sucker is 5 years old. I challenge you to find someone who will buy a 5 year old Windows laptop for that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.