Value of my camera gear?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NStocks, Oct 16, 2012.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hello,

I'm thinking about selling all of my camera gear to fund a project. I never really use the camera and it's a great kit that can be better utilised.

It's all in excellent condition. All items are in their original packaging.

Here's a list of what I'm selling and the prices I originally paid for them.

Samsung GX-10 DSLR
    Samsung D-XENON 18-55mm Lens
    Samsung D-XENON 50-200mm Lens

^^^^^ These 3 items came as a kit and cost £599.99 ^^^^^

Pentax SMC DFA Macro 50mm f2.8 £459.99
    Giottos MTL 9351B Aluminium Professional Tripod £89.99
    Giottos MH 700-652 Professional Socket + Ball Head £49.99
    Tamrac 5547 Adventure 7 Backpack - Grey £79.99

All lenses come with hoods. Tripod and camera and lenses are all in original packaging and excellent condition with instructions charger etc.

Total paid = £1279.95

I know how much cameras have progressed now, but I think that there is still a decent amount of value in this...

How much could I expect to sell the whole lot for? (I'm trying to avoid eBay for obvious reasons)

Would I be better off selling some items separately, like the bag and macro lens?

Thank you very much.

P.S TI have already posted this in the marketplace, however I didn't get any replies.

2. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I suggest you contact a dealer, or trawl through the used section of a dealer's website, or keep checking ebay for these items to see what they sell for.

Some dealers provide a commission sale service, so would be able to help you get rid of the kit. However you would have to wait for the item to sell, it is coming up for xmas so a good time to try to offload stuff.

One dealer I have used, and that has a very good reputation is www.ffordes.com (I have no connection with this company!), they're based in Scotland, but I believe they will provide a courier service. There are other dealers equally as good, look around the internet a bit.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

EXCELLENT!

I've just had a quick look and my camera is around £250 and the Macro lens is around £400! Even with 20% taken off, that a lot more then I'd ever get from eBay and it's a better serve of selling.

I think I'll give these a try.

Just out of interest, how long did it take for them to sell your gear? Did they create the price? Was the price they list it at negotiable i.e if it's too low/high?

Thank you so much for this.

4. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I've only ever done a trade with them. I am considering a commission sale for some Leica kit I have though. As I mentioned, it is coming up for xmas, so this really is the best time to sell.

Ffordes will give you a quote. Usually I email them a list of what I have and they send back a provisional quote, plus any indication of items that they cannot use. I then arrange a courier (through ffordse) and upon receipt, Ffordes give a more concrete offer. I guess it is somewhat negotiable. Obviously you will get more for a trade and a commission sale than a straight forward sale to Ffrodes.

They have been around for a long time, a family run business, and are pretty straight shooters. However, there are other players out there so send some emails, make some calls and then decide what you want to do.

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

So do they send you payment when they receive your camera or when they actually sell it? I ask because " commission" to me means upon sale not receipt. I'll be sure to look around at other uk based companies.

6. Attonine macrumors 6502a

If you choose a commission sale, you will receive the money when the item has been sold.

7. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I've just received a quote from ffrodes for £350.

£350! That's extremely low isn't it? I know that technology moves fast and this camera is around 5 years old, but given the fact that they sell a similar lens and tripod for a total of £380 seems very unfair.

I've contacted 2 other companies, so I will see what they offer.

8. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Yes, the trade in offer is terribly low. You should sell items separately if you can. You might generate a few more pounds that way.

9. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

The company said my Macro lens will go for around £250, so I will get £200... I paid double that but I guess £50 a year isn't bad for a macro lens! (based on 'losing' £200 over 4 years of ownership)

I could sell on eBay, but only if the buyer collects. This allows the sale to go through as seen, without the buyer making something up because they no longer want it. (it's happened to me before :().

At least we are nearing christmas time now, so the chance of selling is greater.

BTW, for my camera and one lens, the company said £150... That's huge loss considering I paid £600 with 2 lenses...

I think that macro lens offer may be worth selling. Even though I don't use it anymore, that was the main reason for buying the camera because the lens is so good!

10. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

I've used FFordes a lot, but only to buy stuff. If I were selling I would use Preloved in the UK, because there are no fees involved either way but you have to register so you know the people buying and selling are legit. I have bought some great camera gear on this site and met a few great people too!

11. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

That's where I will probably go if the companies don't give me a good price... It's where I sold my 2011 MBP. (I got £150 under the asking price but I needed to sell it fast)

How much should I advertise it for? £700 to start with?

12. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Your original question was how much is your kit worth. You're starting to get an idea now. You can see that the original purchase price is pretty irrelevant, what is important is what people are willing to pay now for the equipment.

13. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly. I know that it is only worth what people want to pay for it, but I wasn't sure how much I should be 'asking'.

I will keep an eye on eBay and other similar sites, wait for the responses from dealers and make a starting point somewhere in the middle. I had hoped that somebody on here could give a price... They seem to be pretty accurate with Mac prices and other tech sales.

14. 7enderbender, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

One way to get an idea is to go to keh.com then compare to what similar items sell for on ebay. It's often better to sell this kind of stuff locally.

In this case I would try to sell these items separately. Usually, lenses hold their value better than camera bodies today. In your case I could see different audiences for these. The lenses may be interesting to somebody who has a Samsung system. I wouldn't be too hopeful to recover a lot with those however.

The body may be interesting for folks who are into old manual focus lenses, especially Canon FD owners. You might want to check in forums where those folks hang out. It's a relatively cheap and easy way to use these lenses, some of them really good, with a digital camera. They don't fit on modern Canon cameras but people often still have and love those FD lenses.