Value of Semi-Damaged Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rs7, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rs7 macrumors regular

I need help setting the reserve of an eBay auction. Thanks in advance for reading :eek:

So, my mom dropped my MacBook 6 feet. :eek:
    It's the 2008 13 inch Unibody Macbook, but its newer version is now the MacBook Pro so I thought I'd post this here.

Warranty is of course voided.

Macs are great so the damage isn't as bad as I'm sure it'd be with other computers. The button right corner has a big dent. This causes the battery cover not to fit properly. Additionally, I must click very hard for the trackpad to work. Genius said $250 to fix the trackpad, $750 to fix the body. I guess I can live with the body but the trackpad is annoying (but still works and I'm using it right now).

The thing is, I'm a student so I have a $100 discount plus I can get a free iPod touch right now. Rather than living with a problem computer for another 3 yearsish, I think I'd rather get the newest 13inch MacBook Pro basic model.

So the question:
    • 2008 13inch Unibody MacBook 2GHz Core 2 Due, 2GB Memory
    • Front right corner (the corner to the right of the trackpad) is dented. I scraped away a little of the color from trying to bend it back :rolleyes::(
    • Battery cover goes on but there is a gap between the cover and the casing in the front.
    • Trackpad has to be pressed hard to click. Actually...now it seems to be working okay. So occasionally has to be pressed hard.
    • Fully working computer besides trackpad. No other hardware problems.
    How much is it worth on eBay?

Thanks guys

2. andrew086 macrumors regular

you should probably ask elsewhere because I'm pretty sure that you're not allowed to ask for pricing advice on MR.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, you can't really talk about prices outside of the marketplace, which you are unfortunately not eligible for.

4. rs7 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

These Aluminum MacBooks are collectors items (at least according to some people), as they are sold only short time before going back to plastics, and it's still kind of recent.
    Even if the trackpad doesn't work, it should bring a couple of $ on eBay. If the Genius fixes the Trackpad for $250, I guess it can be done for $50-150. Maybe you'll only have to realign the button/fasten the screws/solder a new button, I don't know how the trackpad looks inside.
    Including the student's discount, you shouldn't have to pay much for a new $999 MacBook if you sell it, though. You might consider a refurbished MacBookPro, you still save $130 compared to a new one with discount.

And keep it away from your mother…

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

that is stupid mopney for repair. you could almost buy a new one for that. the thing is many run laptops with the lid closed running a huge monitor off it as a desktop. that computer would be great for that. if you cant get what you think its worth sometimes it better just to keep it and run it as a desktop.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Instead of trying to sell the MacBook as a whole (you might find it easier to do so, might not), trying selling individual parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.