Value of used, locked iPhone 4S come September

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jent, Aug 8, 2012.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I have an iPhone 4 and my boss has a locked AT&T iPhone 4S (I need to ask what the capacity is). I'm thinking he'll upgrade to the new iPhone when it comes out, and it looks like Apple is set to announce it and release it next month. Based on past iPhone releases, what do you think the value of the 16GB/32GB/64GB iPhone 4S will be after the next iPhone is released? For convenience sake for both sides, he may be willing to sell it to me for a little less than market value after he upgrades. Thanks for your feedback!

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

look on Ebay that's a pretty good gauge slightly less on craigs, prices will drop abet if there is a ton selling all at once.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Cdma based iPhone 4s usually sell for less than GSM based iPhone 4s even though they are same phones.

Saying that. 16gb 4s for $350-425 on Craigslist.
    32gb go from $400-475
    64gb go for $450-550

Don't go by listing prices on craiglist.

----------

Come September look for 4s prices to drop like crazy to $250-300/16gb
    32gb $300-350
    64gb $350-400.

Simply laws of supply and demand. More supplies causes more people willing to lower their prices to recoup money for next iPhone.

4. Bchagey macrumors 6502

Seems about right. Wouldn't be surprised if it was even a bit lower.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why sell it locked? Just provide an authentic Gevey Ultra S for GSM iPhone 4S purchased directly from applenberry.com and list it unlocked and you'll be able to get about the same if you sell in September as you would if you were to sell it locked now.

6. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

I'm hoping to buy it, not sell it, and both my boss and I have AT&T. I have no doubt that I could get a carrier-sanctioned unlock after (or possibly before) two years from AT&T, but until then I'm happy to use my factory unlocked iPhone 4 for travel abroad.

7. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

Can anyone refresh my memory on Verizon and Sprint's unlocking policy? After a few months, they'll unlock an in-contract phone for international use, is that correct? I didn't even realize a carrier could selectively unlock.

My hope is for a locked phone (cheaper to buy) and that I then get a carrier-sanctioned full unlock, allowing me to use it with AT&T and T-Mobile in the U.S. and any GSM carrier abroad.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Verizon will unlock your 4s if you're in good current standing and haven't had them unlock within 10 months. Only SIM unlock for any international GSM carriers.

9. Pirate515 macrumors member

If his phone is AT&T one, then why doesn't he unlock it after upgrade? AT&T does unlock all out of contract iPhones upon request. To qualify it as out of contract phone, one of the above needs to be true:

• Fulfilled full contract term
    • Canceled early and paid ETF
    • Upgraded to a another phone (which releases the old one from contract)
    So once he upgrades, his old phone should be contract-free, which means that he can ask AT&T to have it unlocked and get some more $$$ for it.