Valuing an old mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gnvqsos, Jul 21, 2010.

1. gnvqsos macrumors newbie

I have the chance to buy a secondhand imac as in link

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP69

I have the 20" version which operates on Leopard.It has a cd writer and dvd read only.The seller seems very yhonest but the Mac4sale site suggests it may be overvalued.I am a uk buyer and would appreciate a valuation
    John

2. advres Guest

advres

So you want to buy the 17" or the 20"? And which processor from the link you posted? I would value that at around $300 USD max, personally.

3. gnvqsos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much.Will ram of 256 be enough.Is it possible/easy to buy extra memory and at what cost please John.

PS Its the 20" version

4. gnvqsos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much.Will ram of 256 be enough.Is it possible/easy to buy extra memory and at what cost please John

5. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

£150-£180, 256 megs of RAM isn't enough nowadays, you need 1GB minimum and the G5 iMacs had problems with the capacitors on the motherboard blowing, add to this that PPC is a dead end street now and you'd be better served saving up and getting a far faster second hand Intel iMac.

6. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

£150- £180? No chance.

It's worth £250. RAM is cheap as chips, so a gig would probably make it worth £15 more.

Check out ebay. Macs hold their value and G5 iMacs still go for a decent amount. You're looking at £450 for an Intel.