Valuing iPhone for Warranty Purposes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dansante, Jul 8, 2008.

1. dansante macrumors newbie

I'm considering purchasing a warranty from SquareTrade after I buy my iPhone. I'll be a new AT&T customer, so I'll be paying the subsidized price. But the SquareTrade instructions indicate that you should tell them "the item's original price (before any sign-up discounts)."

My question is this - is the original price the "early upgrade price" of $399/$499? Or is it the "no commitment price" of $599/$699? SquareTrade suggests that the original price might be on the receipt for the purpose of calculating sales tax, but in case it's not, I'm just trying to figure this out.

Obviously, the price you input will affect the cost of the warranty, but also how much they'll pay out if something happens to the phone. Do people think Apple will still replace damaged iPhones that are not covered by warranty for $250? If so, then the highest-priced SquareTrade warranty isn't worth it. But, if they're going to charge you the full "no commitment price" if your iPhone is broken outside of the warranty, then having the full protection might be good.

2. SquareTradeKord macrumors newbie

Response from SquareTradeKord

Hello,

SquareTradeKord here, Customer Experience Manager for SquareTrade.

I can appreciate your concerns.

When purchasing coverage for a new iPhone, simply enter the amount/value of the phone as either indicated on a store receipt or within the corresponding marketing collateral - you'll want to save this information should you ever need to file a claim. In short, we'll value your Care Plan at the price you paid for your phone and submitted when purchasing your coverage.

If you have any concerns about what you would submit as the item price, you're also welcome to contact us by telephone at 1-800-649-5307 (weekdays from 6am-5pm PST) for assistance with making this decision.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Kord (SquareTradeKord)
    Customer Experience Manager
    SquareTrade.com