Valve Offers Complete Game Library to 'Steam Link' Mac Customers Due to Delayed Support

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 19, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Video game developer and digital distribution company Valve began sending out emails to customers who pre-ordered its new streaming device, the Steam Link, over the weekend, apologizing to Mac users that the box won't function with Apple's ecosystem at launch. The company has begun shipping the initial wave of pre-orders to customers, but cited "temporary software issues" that prevent it from fully supporting the Mac line out of the gate.

[​IMG]

The $49.99 Steam Link is a set-top box for the living room that connects users to Valve's Steam platform by streaming content from a PC and into a more traditional console environment. To support the thousands of games that are meant to be played on a mouse and keyboard, the company also launched the Steam Controller for $49.99 alongside the Steam Link. Unfortunately for Mac users, the controller is also incompatible with the Apple line at launch, but Valve hopes the issue to be resolved in "the next few weeks."
    Due to the snafu, Valve is providing Steam Link and Steam Controller early adopters who planned on streaming from a Mac with the compensation of a free download of the $99.99 Valve Complete Pack. The Complete Pack not only includes the entire back catalog of the company's history -- including games like Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Portal, and all their sequels -- but promises future Valve titles will be available to download free of charge. Still, those Mac users who want to send back their Steam Link and Controller will be able to keep the Complete Pack if they choose to do so.

Thanks, James!

Article Link: Valve Offers Complete Game Library to 'Steam Link' Mac Customers Due to Delayed Support

2. YouCanCallMeBigDaddy macrumors member

YouCanCallMeBigDaddy

3. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Oh. Not my case.

90% of games are still Windows only.

4. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

If this doesn't confirm Half-Life 3, I don't know what does. =)

5. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Sorry, I’m lost…….can you?

6. mrspray macrumors newbie

I didn't initially read the entire email I got from Valve, and thought my Steam account was hacked or something when there were so many new games in there... Guess I'll be ready for HL3 if/when it ever drops :)

7. Veraxus macrumors newbie

Veraxus

This was a bit of a bummer, but I still play almost exclusively on my Windows partition... so it's not a huge disappointment. Besides… every Valve game forever? That's got to be good for at least… no, who am I kidding? Valve doesn't develop games any more.

8. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

He can.

9. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Explain?

10. yojo056 macrumors newbie

Quite a bit of Valves library is cross-platform.

11. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Yep. Quite a bit, but not majority.

12. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Get cached game files, crack steam injection. Almost done.

13. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Well at least they acknowledge the issue and provide some compensation for it.

14. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Oh, I was more alluding to the reason for the pirating as opposed to the method.

15. Tymbo macrumors regular

Does this mean I can pre-order and get the Complete Pack? Or are pre-orders over and this opportunity lost?

16. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Did Valve just do something massively great in customer support?

Wait... let me check...

[​IMG]

Glassed Silver:mac

17. 66318 macrumors regular

As a former game developer, thanks for harming what you claim to enjoy.

18. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

Please.

Please.

If you want to have a legitimate gaming experience, don't buy a Mac.

If you want an inferior, limited, and closed-source experience without virtually any freedom, go ahead and buy a Mac and use OS X.

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

This would also apply to Windows. If you really want to game, just get a console.

20. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

Thanks for the laugh today. Made my day better. :D

21. pcmacgamer macrumors regular

I tell all my console friends who complain about low framerates,having to pay to play online, cost and lack of game library the exact opposite. Build a PC and join Gaben.

22. The_Grifter macrumors newbie

There's nothing that can be done on a PC that can't be done on a Mac. The only reason - the only reason - gaming on Macs is "inferior" is because most developers don't have the resources to develop on both platforms concurrently. Those that do have the resources put out Mac versions quite successfully.

23. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

I assume your second paragraph is only referring to gaming? Because no, do not buy a Mac if you want a serious gaming experience. That aside... Macs and OS X are great for just about everything else.

24. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

Don't care. For gaming I have dedicated, powerful Windows 10 PC (and BTW, I'm super impressed with the new Windows).

25. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Not true.
    There are lots of things, by personal experience I mean proprietary industrial control systems, that don’t work properly on a Mac. By that I mean even if you boot into Windows or virtualise.

It may be with some effort and some coding that you can get there in the end but as it stands right now, No. Right now, we have some systems that we speak to for control and firmware flashing that do not work, (or we’ve not managed to get it to work yet), on a Mac.