Valve Reveals Portal Spin-Off 'Bridge Constructor Portal' Coming to macOS and iOS December 20

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Valve, Headup Games, and ClockStone Software today announced that the next iteration of the popular Portal franchise is launching later this month, in the form of a spin-off game tied into the Bridge Constructor puzzle series (via TouchArcade). Bridge Constructor Portal will launch on December 20 for macOS, iOS, Android, Windows, and Linux, and then console versions will follow in 2018.

[​IMG]

The companies said that the new game "fully embraces the Portal license" while primarily focusing on the puzzle and physics elements of Bridge Constructor. Similar to past Bridge Constructor games, players will have to build bridges to connect pathways and safely traverse across chasms without falling to their death.
    The Portal elements come in with the gaming being set in Aperture Laboratories, as well as various in-game items that players can use to solve puzzles, like the companion cube and the repulsion and propulsion gels from Portal 2. GLaDOS will also narrate your progress and failure as you make your way through the new vehicle-based test chambers.

The price of Bridge Constructor Portal hasn't yet been disclosed, but those interested can expect more information ahead of the game's release. Bridge Constructor's paid iOS app is currently priced at $1.99 [Direct Link], so players can likely expect a price point above $2, considering that the game will also be launching simultaneously on Mac and PC as well as eventually coming to consoles, like the Nintendo Switch.

Article Link: Valve Reveals Portal Spin-Off 'Bridge Constructor Portal' Coming to macOS and iOS December 20

2. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Well, now I know what I'm doing this Christmas. I have to work through the week and it will be pretty dead. Now I have something to do! :/

3. Jacquesvw macrumors regular

Wait a second, there’s three turrets in that video... that can mean only one thing... Half-Life 3 confirmed!!!

4. ikir macrumors 65816

Best comment ever

5. Return Zero macrumors 6502

Return Zero

Looks good. To me, portal is a timeless treasure of a game, up there with RCT, BF2 (original), AoE2, and a few others.

6. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I’m not sure how I feel about this. I love both Portal games. This seems like a skin just to sell something.

7. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

And, imo, Portal 2 is even better than the first. One of my absolute favorite game worlds of all time. Not to mention the writing, voice acting, gameplay, etc, etc, etc.

8. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Yeah... it does kinda feel that way to me too. Not that Bridge Constructor aren't fun games, but... they're not exactly thinking with portals, are they?

9. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Buddy, have I got some terrible news for you...

But this does look like fun! Portal was my favorite series out of all of Valve’s games.

10. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

11. Jacquesvw macrumors regular

THREE turrets... a bridge that broke in HALVE... and GLaDOS still ALIVE, thats confirmation of Half-Life 3 for sure.

THREE + HALVE + ALIVE = Half-Life 3

12. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

This isn't a Valve game. Just uses the Portal IP.

Valve has that card game coming, and are working on three full-length VR games. Who knows when/if they will be released. Valve Time.

14. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

"Valve Time." Even worse than "Blizzard Time." ;)

15. Darmok N Jalad macrumors member

Darmok N Jalad

"When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
    "

16. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Yeah I’m saying that ever since Half-Life 3 was confirmed to be dead by the lead writer/designer, those jokes just didn’t have the same humor.

17. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I love JK Simmons; and Cave Johnson is one of the best-written video game characters of all time. Here’s hoping he makes an appearance in this or is a deep part of Portal 3.

Boom. What’s what I’m talking about.

18. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Not surprised they're throwing their franchise in the mud at the least. Valve is done making games, the only online multiplayers from Valve that are still actively being played are either a decade old (Team Fortress 2), or was primarily developed by a different studio altogether (DOTA 2 and CS:GO). Those, along with Steam, are making them so much money, making a single-player game doesn't make financial sense and no one at Valve is interested in it anymore (which is why HL2EP3/HL3 never took off). So I guess someone at Valve figured this would should up Portal fans for a while, and it doesn't take them any effort, since it's, again, developed by an outside studio. Steam has ruined Valve.