Vandalized MacBook Pro 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beachguy, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I'll omit the drama and just get to the issue at hand on this- my 2012 MBP was intentionally dropped about 3 feet and hit the tile floor with the cover lid bearing the brunt. As expected, the glass on the screen is cracked up badly and will need to be replaced (1680x1050 glossy- any ideas of the cost?) I have run the disk test and it comes up fine, but when I run AHT it locks up cold during the memory test phase at the very start. It seems to run normally when I boot to the desktop, but I have only used the machine sparingly. Is it possibly one of the memory sticks was jarred loose?

Surprisingly, I see no dents or scratches (well, there are no new ones) so I am mainly concerned with ideas as to what I should check to see what needs replacing and repairing. Any suggestions from those who have experienced a fallen MBP would be appreciated.

And... a happy 2016 to all!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Try and reseat the RAM, it's not overly difficult on those machines. If the problem persists I'd at least get a diagnosis from Apple and go from there.

3. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Reseated both. Still locks up completely. Crud.

4. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

5. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

...and errors were found.

How can I test the rest of the machine if it locks up in AHT right at the start?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you are getting memory errors, then you should try to eliminate your current memory sticks as a cause. The only way that you could do that (without finding someone with a similar Mac to test your memory sticks, or an expensive dedicated memory tester to check the memory independent of a computer) would be to try other memory in your MBPro.

7. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I'm thinking of taking out one bank and going with 8GB to see which is bad. If one tests fine, and the other tests with errors, I suppose I am good to go for running AHT.

I am still SO ticked off at the jerk that did this.

8. killawat macrumors 65816

Yes try to reseat everything, hard drive, memory etc.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Make the jerk buy you a new Macbook.

10. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Double dittos to this. If you have to replace yours and this human refuses to pay, file a claim in small claims court. As it was done intentionally, the court would easily rule in your favor,

11. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

12. pseudoware macrumors member

pseudoware

That "jerk" reference, lol. Stop teasing ;-)

13. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

The drama is simply that I was assaulted by my stepson, which put me in the hospital for a week. So, there's not much of a way to squeeze a new Macbook Pro out of the deal. Very mild heart attack, lots of bruises. He intentionally dropped the Mac but luckily it fell flat on its back. He has emotional issues (he was a special needs child, is 18 now.) We also believe he was using drugs when this happened.

I'm more concerned with getting the Mac back in order since the medical and legal issues are outside my control. In spite of the memory problem, and the broken up screen, it does appear to run just fine.

I'm curious- if I tried to put a 2012 Retina screen on my Mac, would it work in that resolution? No real plans to do so, but I am curious, as I found one listed that was new and a very good price. My guess is that it would not work (or at least properly.)

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Time to either move the 18-year-old out... or YOU move out...

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I know this sounds a little odd, however it`s worked for me on older computers; remove the RAM and clean the contact areas with a regular rubber eraser (not the ink variety). This cleans any deposits built up over time, it worked for me on an ancient desktop years ago. Free and worth a shot, sorry to hear about your "drama" life is never simple, as they say.

If you live in a dry area, best to ground yourself before messing with the innards, to prevent any damage from static discharge.

Q-6

16. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Sorry to hear about the step-son and medical issues, hopefully your recovery is/was a quick one.

As for the Mac. No, the retina screen will not work. For the memory, if both modules test OK individually, it's an issue with the slot soldered to the logic board.

17. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Thanks, Hallux. I suspected that it wouldn't but curiosity made me ask.

And Fishrrman, he is not here, not welcome here, and would be arrested if he even drove by. He's facing two felony charges, one for assault, and one for the damage to my Macbook.

18. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Oh- and Queen6, I'm in Florida, so it's safe to say it is not even close to dry here. :)

19. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I always wear a static strap when working on computers no matter the location. A cheap item that can save you a lot of heartburn.

20. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

It did turn out one of the modules was defective.

As to the display, where should I look for one? I've tried looking on eBay just to see what was on there, and couldn't figure out where to find one to match. Mine is a glossy 1680x1050, and everything I find is either the retina or 1440x900. Any other suggestions as to what exactly I should search on to find units to consider?

21. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Here's one! o_O

And, maybe you would like this one a little better

If you want to search more on your own, use Apple's part number for the hi-res glossy clamshell (the clamshell is the complete display) - 661-6505

22. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Excellent!

I'm trying to size up my repair options. I'm discovering (and not surprised by it) that isn't always easy to find what I am looking for when I don't know exactly the right detail to search on.