Vanished folder!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Teoni, May 29, 2011.

1. Teoni macrumors newbie

I had just taken some photographs out of my camera put them into a new folder situated in the pictures folder, named that folder and now I can't find that folder anywhere. I've looked in spotlight according to spotlight the folder doesn't seem to exist. I've started to think maybe I hallucinated creating the folder but the pictures I deleted from the collection are in the trash so I know I did transfer to computer. I did try tinker tool to access hidden files in case it hid itself, but I still can't find it. Some one suggested going into terminal and doing /tmp folder name search and it comes up with /tmp: is a directory
    So what does that mean?

Now I'm in a complete panic :eek: as to where all my pictures went so anyone who can help I'd really appreciate it.:confused:

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Spotlight doesn't always keep up with changes. Go to the pictures folder, in Finder sort by date with newest at the top. The new folder, whatever you may have called it should float to the top. I've gotten in the habit of sorting every folder by date on all my computers. It saves a lot of searching for stuff.

You mentioned they are in the trash? If you can't find them sorting by date, try restoring them from the trash and then search for them again. Where were they when you deleted them? On sd card? If so, you will have to pop the sd card back in before you restore them from the trash as they are in the trashes folder on the sd card and not on your mac.

When I take pictures off my camera, I NEVER delete the originals until I have a copy safely on my Macbook AND a NAS drive on the other side of the room. Lately I use eye-fi to get photos off my camera but I had to shut off transferring movies as they never make it so if I take some movies I must pop the SD card into a reader to get them off. Eye-fi works fine for transferring a few hundred meg of photos but for several gigs of movies I must do things the old way. I have my eye-fi card set to delete older pics once it gets half full this means I never have to manually delete anything if I don't want to.