Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has a trio of manufacturers lined up with new products that are able to integrate with the Find My app, including Chipolo's item trackers, Belkin's SOUNDFORM earbuds, and e-bikes from VanMoof.

find-my-bike.jpg

Starting today, new S3 and E3 electric bikes ordered from VanMoof will be compatible with the Find My app, and will be able to be tracked using Find My right alongside Apple devices.

Once connected to the Find My app, a VanMoof S3 or X3 bike will be listed in the "Items" tab on the Find My app, and will be trackable should the bike go missing. Items that integrate with Find My can take advantage of the networking feature that Apple built into the app, so any nearby iPhone, iPad, or Mac will be able to detect a lost item and securely relay its location to the owner.

works-with-apple-find-my.jpg

New VanMoof models with Find My integration can be ordered today, though it takes months for new bikes to be shipped out. VanMoof's bikes are priced starting at $1,998.

Belkin is also working on a Find My-enabled accessory, the SOUNDFORM Freedom True Wireless Earbuds. Belkin actually announced these earbuds in January at CES, and in addition to Find My integration, they'll offer up to eight hours of play time, environmental noise cancellation, and Qi-based wireless charging.

belkin-soundcore-earbuds-ces-2021.jpg

Belkin's SOUNDFORM Freedom True Wireless Earbuds are only available for preorder and are expected to be released in June, which is also the launch timeline for the Chipolo ONE Spot item trackers with Find My integration that we covered in another article.

chipolo-1.jpg

Given the long wait times for these new devices, it could be a few months before we're able to get a hands-on look at how Find My integration works with third-party accessories. Apple says that additional manufacturers will be releasing devices with Find My integration in the future.

Article Link: VanMoof E-Bikes Gain Find My Integration as Belkin Prepares to Launch Find My SOUNDFORM Earbuds

Last edited:

genoendicott

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2013
Bummer, wish this was a firmware update to my older VanMoof bike...

Apple has a trio of manufacturers lined up with new products that are able to integrate with the Find My app, including Chipolo's item trackers, Belkin's SOUNDFORM earbuds, and e-bikes from VanMoof.

find-my-bike.jpg

Starting today, new S3 and E3 electric bikes ordered from VanMoof will be compatible with the Find My app, and will be able to be tracked using Find My right alongside Apple devices.

Once connected to the Find My app, a VanMoof S3 or X3 bike will be listed in the "Items" tab on the Find My app, and will be trackable should the bike go missing. Items that integrate with Find My can take advantage of the networking feature that Apple built into the app, so any nearby iPhone, iPad, or Mac will be able to detect a lost item and securely relay its location to the owner.

works-with-apple-find-my.jpg

New VanMoof models with Find My integration can be ordered today, though it takes months for new bikes to be shipped out. VanMoof's bikes are priced starting at $1,998.

Belkin is also working on a Find My-enabled accessory, the SOUNDFORM Freedom True Wireless Earbuds. Belkin actually announced these earbuds in January at CES, and in addition to Find My integration, they'll offer up to eight hours of play time, environmental noise cancellation, and Qi-based wireless charging.

belkin-soundcore-earbuds-ces-2021.jpg

Belkin's SOUNDFORM Freedom True Wireless Earbuds are not yet available and are expected to be released in June, which is also the launch timeline for the Chipolo ONE Spot item trackers with Find My integration that we covered in another article.

chipolo-1.jpg

Given the long wait times for these new devices, it could be a few months before we're able to get a hands-on look at how Find My integration works with third-party accessories. Apple says that additional manufacturers will be releasing devices with Find My integration in the future.

Article Link: VanMoof E-Bikes Gain Find My Integration as Belkin Prepares to Launch Find My SOUNDFORM Earbuds

Reactions: BGM
Comment

Arsenikdote

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I guess if it is built into your bike....cool. But really I would still lean towards a full GPS device if I am worried about protecting/finding my expensive bike!!

Reactions: jimthing
Comment

sh20

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
London
Care to elaborate? Which problems did you have? I am in the market for an e-bike and had considered Vanmoof as I like the design a lot.
I’m also interested why, I had an S2 and loved it so much I upgraded to the S3 through my work cycle scheme.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Care to elaborate? Which problems did you have? I am in the market for an e-bike and had considered Vanmoof as I like the design a lot.

I had the original S, and the second version. Neither was an e-bike. The second version (which I still ride) is a “smart bike,” with GPS for loss prevention, etc. One problem I’ve had with both is fit. I’m 6’3”, and I had to install stem risers on both just to get them reasonably comfortable. This caused a problem with the smart bike, because the break cables and shifter cable were too short, so I had to replace one and reroute a couple to get everything to fit.

Then the smartbike stopped charging via the USB port (in theory, riding it should be enough to keep it charged, but you’d have to ride it 20 miles a week, in my experience). To get it repaired I’d have to take it to a van moof store (and there are, I think, only two in the USA?), and I just gave up on the smart features.

It’s a very cool looking bike, but I’m planning on going with something like the Priority Current when upgrading to an e-bike in the next few months.

Reactions: the future
Comment

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I had the original S, and the second version. Neither was an e-bike. The second version (which I still ride) is a “smart bike,” with GPS for loss prevention, etc. One problem I’ve had with both is fit. I’m 6’3”, and I had to install stem risers on both just to get them reasonably comfortable. This caused a problem with the smart bike, because the break cables and shifter cable were too short, so I had to replace one and reroute a couple to get everything to fit.

Then the smartbike stopped charging via the USB port (in theory, riding it should be enough to keep it charged, but you’d have to ride it 20 miles a week, in my experience). To get it repaired I’d have to take it to a van moof store (and there are, I think, only two in the USA?), and I just gave up on the smart features.

It’s a very cool looking bike, but I’m planning on going with something like the Priority Current when upgrading to an e-bike in the next few months.
Thanks for the feedback. I am interested in the Vanmoof due to the fit of a tall person like myself at 6'8".
That's what they claim on their site. I would love to do a test ride but they only offer it in San Francisco.

Comment

BuddyTronic

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I guess if it is built into your bike....cool. But really I would still lean towards a full GPS device if I am worried about protecting/finding my expensive bike!!

“Find my” will work where GPS won’t in some cases. Like underground parking lots. Plus you’ll have to pay a subscription I suppose for cellular service on the GPS tracker. Do you have a particular GPS tracker in mind? I’m interested.

When AirTags come out they will be $29.99 or something - We tried GPS tags from that company that uses dodecahedron shaped plastic housings I forget the name of it. Unfortunately their GPS cell system was a bit flaky and also did not work globally.
TrackR maybe?

I think this bicycle company is smart to integrate “find my” into their system - it’s going to sell a lot of bikes just for that feature differential. Or maybe it won’t make a difference because most dealers only carry one brand of bicycle so you’re stuck getting whatever brand they decided they want to sell you.

Reactions: KeithBN
Comment

ComRadMac

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2017
"and will be trackable should the bike go missing"

Unless it was stolen, and then this is utterly useless because the police don't care even a little bit if you can track something with your phone. If you happen to misplace your bike for some reason... say, between the couch cushions... then this feature would work fine.

Comment

LonderJan

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
Thanks for the feedback. I am interested in the Vanmoof due to the fit of a tall person like myself at 6'8".
That's what they claim on their site. I would love to do a test ride but they only offer it in San Francisco.
I am in Europe and while these bikes turn heads, they have a terrible reputation in terms of reliability. I know several people who owned one and said : never again. Check out cowboy bike, it’s also very sleek and has very nice reviews in terms of reliability.

Reactions: MHenr and gugy
Comment

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Looking forward to golfballs equipped with this... not that Bluetooth would have enough range, but people asking "how to find my balls" would never get old...

• Haha
Reactions: rjp1
Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
At 6’8” you will be hunched over pretty far, even with a riser. Some people prefer that. I prefer more upright, so I’ve never been happy with the fit.

Reactions: gugy
Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
I am in Europe and while these bikes turn heads, they have a terrible reputation in terms of reliability. I know several people who owned one and said : never again. Check out cowboy bike, it’s also very sleek and has very nice reviews in terms of reliability.
Can’t get cowboy bikes in the US last I checked. Otherwise they’d be on my list.

Comment

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Same here: I’ve been riding my S2 for one and a half years. It’s fine strictly as an electric bike, but all the smart features are horribly buggy. They don’t lock safely. Their software constantly gets into weird in-between states. It doesn’t connect properly to iOS due to Apple’s Bluetooth power management, to the point where VanMoof tell you to rather use Android, or else the ride tracking and hands free unlock won’t work. They have an alarm that is easy to circumvent etc. etc..

And take note: S2/X2 shipped with integrated SIM cards for years, but VanMoof never got them to work for location services. There’s a map in the app that shows you where you left your bike (or nothing), but there’s no tracking even though the hardware should have been there. Telling me to just buy a new bike if I want that feature to work feels like a slap in the face right now.

Reactions: jimthing
Comment

reverie

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I hope this feature comes to other bikes in time. I’ll ride the S2 for another 18 months or so and then might consider Ampler or other options.

Comment

ArPe

Suspended
May 31, 2020
A great anti theft bike feature would be to electric shock the thief with 500 volts or grill them by heating the seat and handles to 200 degrees C.

Comment

evoga

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Vanmoof look like granddad bikes. They should have Super 73 bikes with the tracking option.

Comment

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
I feel better about delaying my VanMoof purchase for this long. Might be time to buy now.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.