Variety of help needed with some Macbook problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rbf1138, Dec 22, 2007.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

Ok, so a couple problems I'm having with a black Macbook, few months old, running Leopard, with an external monitor.

1. Have a folder in the trash that will not empty. The "Emptying Trash" screen can't be cancelled, I've tried secure empty, and also some program called Trash It, as well as a restart, and no luck. How do I get rid of this?

2. Since yesterday, when I reboot, at a white screen I get a quick "snippet" of the startup sound, which then gets cut-off, and continues to repeat this cut-off sound over and over, until I press the power button to shutdown and then turn it on again, at which point it boots properly.

3. Movies at 1080 resolution have choppy framerates...I've read that the Macbook should be able to handle playing this size video...

4. Using the new USB Apple keyboard, sporadically, and now for the last several days, using Apple + Delete will not delete files.

So, any help is majorly appreciated...maybe a Leopard reinstall will help a bit?
    Thanks!

2. wightstraker macrumors regular

The most reliable way I've been able to delete stubborn files in OS X is in the terminal. Put the folder that won't delete on your desktop. Open up the Terminal (Applications/Utilities), and go to the desktop by typing in

cd Desktop

Then, try this command:

sudo rmdir [folder name]

Replace [folder name] with the name of the folder you want to get rid of, no brackets. If there are spaces in the folder name save yourself some trouble and get rid of them first. Typing in sudo will require you to enter your system password to continue. If that doesn't work, try this:

sudo rm -rf -i [folder name]

That should erase just about anything, and for that reason make sure you're getting rid of the right folder, -i is useful in this regard; it will ask you if you're sure you want to delete [folder name]. Type in y to confirm, n to cancel. Be careful with rm -rf.

If you're already familiar with the terminal I apologize if I've been explaining the obvious. Sorry I couldn't help you with your other problems, they stumped me.