various generations vs. charge dock compatibility

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by devils punchbow, Jun 28, 2010.

1. devils punchbow macrumors member

What is the history with touch, and dock compatibility ? Another words does each new generation change to new connections ? Which makes older docks obsolete. Or are newer docks being used with older generation touch's ?

I'm experimenting with a used 2G touch for the first time. Probably will get updated touch later in the year to have one they release soon. I guess I'm wondering what the chances are that the dock I purchased will work with the new generation that will be released soon ?

currently using this dock......http://www.accessorygeeks.com/ipod-touch-desktop-charger.html

2. devils punchbow thread starter macrumors member

Anyone know this history ? Between charging docks, and newest generation compatibility. Does apple keep the same connector pins at bottom of device ? Or create new ones so you have to buy new charging docks with each new generation ? Consistent history for the past three generations ?

3. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I'm pretty sure all ipod's have the same charging..... plug.

But im not sure about the new 4g, but it'll most likely be compatible with older docks.