Various Leopard questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitefang, Mar 1, 2009.

1. whitefang macrumors 6502

1) How do I maximize a window? Pressing the green + icon on a window doesn't seem to maximize it?
    2) What is the proper way to uninstall an application?
    3) Is there any tweaks I should do to optimize low heatoutput, battery life, performance etc? (I'm brand new to macs and osx)
    4) How do I map a window drive? I have an HTPC in the living room and would like to access one of the drive shares.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. We don't do that in OS X.
    2. Put it in the Trash. Delete it.
    3. I don't bother with them, but others will have good info.

3. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

No maximize?????? Safari is like a 800x600 window on a 1440x900 resolution......How do I make it bigger?

Also, dragging the app icon from the dock bar into the trash window PROPERLY uninstalls it? Including registry settings etc?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is no Registry.

Drag windows in the bottom right corner.

5. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

That's one very simplistic way of doing it, which will often leave a lot of files behind and simply won't work for some applications.

When you install an application, check for an uninstall application in the same folder; if there is one its a good idea to keep the original install file.

I would also highly recommend a free application called AppCleaner which you can open up and look for the application you want to uninstall. It will look for any files associated with that application and delete them for you.

If you really want a browser that will maximise, Firefox will maximise like a regular windows application.