Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joesenior91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Hi there,

I bought myself a 15" MBP about 2 years ago, and over the past few months it's developed a couple of weird (and very annoying) problems.

Sleep problems: It doesn't go to sleep when the lid is closed, well actually it does, but then turns wakes up (the apple lights up and the hard drive spins) then goes back to sleep and repeats this process every 20 seconds or so. The problems the same if i choose sleep manually then close the lid. This is a problem because it runs the battery down and means i can't put it in a laptop bag or anything without shutting the whole thing down for fear of a colossal overheat. Also if i manually choose sleep, but take the power cable out then in the morning it'll have run out of battery, even if i don't close the lid. But if i leave the power cable in, then it sleeps like a baby.

Shut Down problems: If i try to shut it down, but leave the power cable in it reboots automatically, if i take the power cable out then it shuts down no problem.

System Hangs: Every now and then when just casually using it, not doing anything intense, it'll go into this weird hang, where i can use the applications, but i can't switch spaces and the dock doesn't come up when I touch the bottom of the screen with my mouse. The taskbar doesn't work either. This happens about weekly i guess and varies in length from 30 seconds to 5 mintues. once it was like that for about 15 minutes so i rebooted. There doesn't seem to be any trigger or common theme or anything. Just sort of happens

Lastly Temperture: I know a lot of people mention how hot these unibody systems run, but mine's definitely running a lot hotter than it did a couple of months ago. Currently i'm playing music on iTunes and typing this message, CPU's at 6% use, memories like half full, but it's the CPU's at 80 degrees, and there's no hope of using it on my lap.

Any ideas what the hell's going on?

cheers, Joe

joesenior91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
another problem i forgot in the first post that's happening now, sometimes iTunes will play like a second of a track, then stop for a while, then play another second or so. this can go on for a few minutes and there's nothing i can do because iTunes becomes unresponsive.

i'd really like to get this stuff sorted so any help would be great.

joesenior91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
tried all that a few weeks back to no success.

the only other thing i can think to do is a complete OS reinstall, which right now i don't have the time to do as i'm in the middle of revision for exams.

also another problem i've just remembered is every now and then the top half of the screen will flick to black, just for like the tiniest fraction of a second, but it's just flicks off. it's only the top half of the screen though. this makes me think the whole thing's probably a hardware problem :( curse my lack of warranty.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Hi there,

I bought myself a 15" MBP about 2 years ago, and over the past few months it's developed a couple of weird (and very annoying) problems.

Sleep problems: It doesn't go to sleep when the lid is closed, well actually it does, but then turns wakes up (the apple lights up and the hard drive spins) then goes back to sleep and repeats this process every 20 seconds or so. The problems the same if i choose sleep manually then close the lid. This is a problem because it runs the battery down and means i can't put it in a laptop bag or anything without shutting the whole thing down for fear of a colossal overheat. Also if i manually choose sleep, but take the power cable out then in the morning it'll have run out of battery, even if i don't close the lid. But if i leave the power cable in, then it sleeps like a baby.

Shut Down problems: If i try to shut it down, but leave the power cable in it reboots automatically, if i take the power cable out then it shuts down no problem.

System Hangs: Every now and then when just casually using it, not doing anything intense, it'll go into this weird hang, where i can use the applications, but i can't switch spaces and the dock doesn't come up when I touch the bottom of the screen with my mouse. The taskbar doesn't work either. This happens about weekly i guess and varies in length from 30 seconds to 5 mintues. once it was like that for about 15 minutes so i rebooted. There doesn't seem to be any trigger or common theme or anything. Just sort of happens

Lastly Temperture: I know a lot of people mention how hot these unibody systems run, but mine's definitely running a lot hotter than it did a couple of months ago. Currently i'm playing music on iTunes and typing this message, CPU's at 6% use, memories like half full, but it's the CPU's at 80 degrees, and there's no hope of using it on my lap.

Any ideas what the hell's going on?

cheers, Joe

you bought Apple care right? just take it in and they'll fix it up

did you try the Hardware diagnostic?

joesenior91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
i didn't get applecare, meant to buy it after the first year ran out but completely forgot. not good. also how do i run hardware diagnostics?

cheers, Joe

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
i didn't get applecare, meant to buy it after the first year ran out but completely forgot. not good. also how do i run hardware diagnostics?

cheers, Joe

On an Intel based Mac, put it Mac OS X Install disc 1 that came with your Mac to your Mac, and hold the D key at boot. This will load it to the hardware test.

Also, as a somewhat last resort, back up your data and reinstall Mac OS. This may even fix every single one of the problems that you have. It's what I would do in your case.

joesenior91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
reinstallin OS X is on my to do list, but i can't afford to right now because i've got some exams coming up and don't have the time to get it all set up again.

anyway i tried to do the hardware diagnostic thing, stuck in the OS X install disk, the drive span up, span down. then did that a few times then ejected the disk. tried again, same response. so i tried the nearest disk to hand, the OS X install disk 2, it did the same but then didn't eject and just kept going for ages until it popped up with the you've inserted a blank disk thing. so i tried a normal DVD and that worked fine.

Also i just got a small electric shock or two off my computer. what's going on?!?!

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
reinstallin OS X is on my to do list, but i can't afford to right now because i've got some exams coming up and don't have the time to get it all set up again.

anyway i tried to do the hardware diagnostic thing, stuck in the OS X install disk, the drive span up, span down. then did that a few times then ejected the disk. tried again, same response. so i tried the nearest disk to hand, the OS X install disk 2, it did the same but then didn't eject and just kept going for ages until it popped up with the you've inserted a blank disk thing. so i tried a normal DVD and that worked fine.

Also i just got a small electric shock or two off my computer. what's going on?!?!

First off, are you on carpeting for your electric shock? and are you using the grounded, longer plug for the Magsafe Power Adapter?

Some computers have issues with starting the hardware test. I've tried it myself, and some just don't read the disk. If you take it to the Apple Store, they will run for you.
Anyway, again, reinstalling mac OS is about the only thing I can suggest, once you get the time. If that does not fix the problem, it's definetly a hardware problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.