Various Reliable Sites to Buy Macbooks from?

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Today my brother asked me to recommend a few sites (for purchasing in the US) for him to check out so he can compare various MacBook Pro and MacBook Air prices. I used to know a few places, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I know I'll recognise the sites when I see the names of them. I know one was a place which had a few physical locations (in addition to their website) in some states and they would price match deals on Macs (I think the name may have started with an O? Or maybe is started with Mono? Micro? Something like that).

If I could just get a list of places I know it'll jog my memory.

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
http://www.apple.com

Yesterday I happened to see a Macbook selling on QVC for $500 more than you would get it at the apple store. Several callers called in, all very happy to be getting something for their children in college.

When you are done looking be sure to check Apple before you buy.

just thinking outloud

Comment

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Apple's online store, MacMall, Amazon are great sources to compare prices. Apple is usually the cheapest with education discount though. If you want used check out Apple refurb outlet or Amazon Warehouse deals, cant go wrong with either.

Comment

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
http://www.apple.com

Yesterday I happened to see a Macbook selling on QVC for $500 more than you would get it at the apple store. Several callers called in, all very happy to be getting something for their children in college.

When you are done looking be sure to check Apple before you buy.

just thinking outloud
I may be missing something super obvious here, but what is QVC?

Apple's online store, MacMall, Amazon are great sources to compare prices. Apple is usually the cheapest with education discount though. If you want used check out Apple refurb outlet or Amazon Warehouse deals, cant go wrong with either.
Amazon warehouse is a good call. I remember getting a good deal there on an iPod once. And I have generally found the refurb outlet to be cheaper than the education discount for the few computers I looked at.

I buy most of my Apple products from MacMall
MacMall! Once I saw that in your post and in hawk1410's, I remembered that was one of the sites I couldn't remember.

Comment

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Apple.com refurb + Discover credit card (gives 5% off) gives best deal. Apple.com educational (if you qualify) + Discover credit card is second best.

YMMV depending on sales tax considerations.

Comment

crowley213

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Mexico
Maybe B&H Photo could also be a possibility.

Even I don´t know how prices are there compared to other sites, at least the reliability of the shop and the service is top level for me.

Comment

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Keep the suggestions coming. There is still one site I that I'm trying to remember that no one has mentioned yet. It's driving me crazy that I can't recall what it is! It may have started with "Mono" or "Micro" in the name.

Apple.com refurb + Discover credit card (gives 5% off) gives best deal. Apple.com educational (if you qualify) + Discover credit card is second best.

YMMV depending on sales tax considerations.
I completely forgot Discover did 5% cash back. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have him look into that.

Maybe B&H Photo could also be a possibility.

Even I don´t know how prices are there compared to other sites, at least the reliability of the shop and the service is top level for me.
Another good recommendation to check out. Thanks! This list is coming together nicely.

Comment

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Keep the suggestions coming. There is still one site I that I'm trying to remember that no one has mentioned yet. It's driving me crazy that I can't recall what it is! It may have started with "Mono" or "Micro" in the name.

I completely forgot Discover did 5% cash back. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have him look into that.

Another good recommendation to check out. Thanks! This list is coming together nicely.
I know I'm in the UK here but I know there's a US Mac company called OWC who do tons of Apple parts, mods and tools for upgrading Macs, it could be them if it begins with O

Comment

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I know I'm in the UK here but I know there's a US Mac company called OWC who do tons of Apple parts, mods and tools for upgrading Macs, it could be them if it begins with O
I was under the impression OWC only sold Mac parts/accessories (and good ones at that. I bought RAM from them for my MBP and it's been working great).

AppleInsider has a nicely organized list here comparing prices. All the sites they list are well known and reliable.
Ooh, that's handy. I forgot about Mac Connection and J&R. However it still doesn't list that place I'm thinking of. Still, this link is pretty helpful.

Comment

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Thanks everyone for all the sites. I'll definitely send the list over. Should be a big enough pool to get a better comparison from.

Try Microcenter.com
YES!!! Microcenter is the place I was thinking of. It just really bothered me that I couldn't remember the name.

+1 for OWC (other world computing). Great for parts, especially ram if you don't want to pay for crucial.com's prices.

Also try http://www.macconnection.com
Right? I also have a friend who bought an SSD from them for her MBA, and she hasn't had any issues with it. Not to mention it was cheaper than upgrading through Apple. Between that and the RAM I bought, I have no hesitation recommending OWC.

MacConnection also looks like a good place to look.

Comment

vandrv

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
I have bought several Apple products, including a Macbook Pro, an Imac and an Ipad From B&H. I have alos bought loads of high dollar camera equipment from them, and recommend them highly.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.