Various Reliable Sites to Buy Macbooks from?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Agent-P, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Agent-P, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Today my brother asked me to recommend a few sites (for purchasing in the US) for him to check out so he can compare various MacBook Pro and MacBook Air prices. I used to know a few places, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I know I'll recognise the sites when I see the names of them. I know one was a place which had a few physical locations (in addition to their website) in some states and they would price match deals on Macs (I think the name may have started with an O? Or maybe is started with Mono? Micro? Something like that).

If I could just get a list of places I know it'll jog my memory.

2. 960design macrumors 68000

www.apple.com

Yesterday I happened to see a Macbook selling on QVC for $500 more than you would get it at the apple store. Several callers called in, all very happy to be getting something for their children in college.

When you are done looking be sure to check Apple before you buy.

just thinking outloud

3. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Apple's online store, MacMall, Amazon are great sources to compare prices. Apple is usually the cheapest with education discount though. If you want used check out Apple refurb outlet or Amazon Warehouse deals, cant go wrong with either.

4. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

5. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I may be missing something super obvious here, but what is QVC?

Amazon warehouse is a good call. I remember getting a good deal there on an iPod once. And I have generally found the refurb outlet to be cheaper than the education discount for the few computers I looked at.

MacMall! Once I saw that in your post and in hawk1410's, I remembered that was one of the sites I couldn't remember.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Apple.com refurb + Discover credit card (gives 5% off) gives best deal. Apple.com educational (if you qualify) + Discover credit card is second best.

YMMV depending on sales tax considerations.

7. crowley213 macrumors newbie

Maybe B&H Photo could also be a possibility.

Even I don´t know how prices are there compared to other sites, at least the reliability of the shop and the service is top level for me.

8. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Keep the suggestions coming. There is still one site I that I'm trying to remember that no one has mentioned yet. It's driving me crazy that I can't recall what it is! It may have started with "Mono" or "Micro" in the name.

I completely forgot Discover did 5% cash back. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have him look into that.

Another good recommendation to check out. Thanks! This list is coming together nicely.

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I know I'm in the UK here but I know there's a US Mac company called OWC who do tons of Apple parts, mods and tools for upgrading Macs, it could be them if it begins with O

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

AppleInsider has a nicely organized list here comparing prices. All the sites they list are well known and reliable.

11. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I was under the impression OWC only sold Mac parts/accessories (and good ones at that. I bought RAM from them for my MBP and it's been working great).

Ooh, that's handy. I forgot about Mac Connection and J&R. However it still doesn't list that place I'm thinking of. Still, this link is pretty helpful.

12. jwoodfin2012 macrumors newbie

13. n8mac macrumors 6502

+1 for OWC (other world computing). Great for parts, especially ram if you don't want to pay for crucial.com's prices.

Also try www.macconnection.com

14. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Thanks everyone for all the sites. I'll definitely send the list over. Should be a big enough pool to get a better comparison from.

YES!!! Microcenter is the place I was thinking of. It just really bothered me that I couldn't remember the name.

Right? I also have a friend who bought an SSD from them for her MBA, and she hasn't had any issues with it. Not to mention it was cheaper than upgrading through Apple. Between that and the RAM I bought, I have no hesitation recommending OWC.

MacConnection also looks like a good place to look.

15. vandrv macrumors regular

I have bought several Apple products, including a Macbook Pro, an Imac and an Ipad From B&H. I have alos bought loads of high dollar camera equipment from them, and recommend them highly.