Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jschmitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Any ideas on this one?

Early 2010 MBP (15 inch) HDD Clean Lion Install uses ~ 9.9 GB of disk space
Mid 2010 MBP (17 inch) SSD Clean Lion install uses ~ 14.5 GB of disk space

Pretty big discrepancy - any thoughts?

John

jschmitt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Mystery Solved ....

The 17in MBP has 8GB RAM, whereas the 15in only 4GB RAM

/private/var/vm/sleepimage is the culprit!

install creates a file too match your configured RAM, hence the discrepancy between the size of the footprints of the 2 fresh installs!

:)

John

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
I have a different question that could use a thread with the same/similar name:

SL install DVD is cca. 7GB and Lion (GM) install image is cca 4GB. Why the difference of 3GB? Obviously, you can use both for a clean installation. Is the Lion missing anything that SL had? Some drivers maybe?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate

SL install DVD is cca. 7GB and Lion (GM) install image is cca 4GB. Why the difference of 3GB? Obviously, you can use both for a clean installation. Is the Lion missing anything that SL had? Some drivers maybe?

Rosetta subsystem?

Edit to add: I thought I read somewhere months ago that Lion did not have Printer Drivers and downloaded them on demand?

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

Good question. But I do recall that after installing GM it took up an additional 800mb(?) in space. (When compared to a fresh and up to date SL install I have on another partition).

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom

That's Xcode. With Lion Apple doesn't ship Xcode. That's your extra 3 GB or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.