VAT return when purchasing an ipad2 in UK

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 4004, May 23, 2011.

1. 4004 macrumors member

Hi
    I am planning to travel to Brighton, UK in summer and because there are no apple resellers in my counrty, I would like to get an ipad2 from apple store(or its online counterpart, just for the sake of engraving)
    The questions is whether I will be able to get a VAT(20%) refund at the airport when leaing the UK if I buy it at their online store or at the local apple store? It's not clear at the apple website
    Thanks in advance

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Take a look here. Its specific to your current situation.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As long as you get the VAT receipt wherever you buy the iPad from you will be able to claim the refund.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Stop Press

http://store.apple.com/uk/help/payments (This may only be with the online store though)

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

Bear in mind even if you do get a VAT refund it won't be the full 20%.

6. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so no vat return for online store as I understand it, but there is a possibility they return it with their local stores

7. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

Even if it's 15%, it's still a big deal of money

8. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

Or you could just buy it at the airport on your way home? The big airports like Heathrow and Gatwick both have a Currys (well known electrical retailer) in their terminals. You might want to phone them first to make sure they have it in stock.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Vat returns in the UK are not handled in the store they are handled at the airport. There is a special VAT office after you go through Immigration. You need to have the item you purchased and the original receipt showing the Vat.

You take it to the Vat counter and you get the refund there and then. The procedure is very simple.

The information provided in post 2 is accurate.

10. 4004, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

4004 thread starter macrumors member

the question is not where I can return the VAT, but if they provide the VAT receipt when you purchase it through their online store
    I may also have a look at some retailers at the airport, but ipads can be out of stock there

11. RS232 macrumors regular

RS232

You can not claim back VAT from items purchased from the on-line store... No VAT receipt.

12. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

Not true. Whenever I've bought something from the Apple UK website I've always been sent an email invoice. This includes the Apple UK VAT registration number so is a valid VAT receipt.

13. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

and you were able to claim that vat?
    engraving is no big deal, but looks neat

14. ACDeag macrumors regular

Just having a receipt does not entitle you to get the VAT back, the retailer needs to be part of the retail export scheme.

More info here: http://bit.ly/kB6Xu6

You could buy an iPad from a department store such as John Lewis or from Currys electrical stores and they are I believe both part of the Retail Export scheme.

15. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

ok, thank you all, will try to orientate when I'm in the Uk, question closed

16. Bradhiduk macrumors newbie

Apple UK are in the VAT Retail Export Scheme

If you are a non-UK resident you can buy at Apple. You MUST get a VAT Retail Export Schem receipt, not just the normal VAT receipt. This is printed electronically at the Apple store on prduction of your passport.
    At the airport show the goods and receipt at the VAT desk. They stamp it and you post it back in the freepost envelopes provided. It goes to a company that processes these claims, they take a commission. Then the refund is credited to the bank card used to make the payment. I have done this with an iphone. I should have also done it with a Macbook Air which I bought at Dubai Duty free before I new that Apple were in the VAT retail export scheme.
    Not sure of refund process is you buy the goods with cash.

17. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

You are 3 years too late.... :rolleyes: