VB 2005 Express alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ksd20039, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ksd20039 macrumors newbie

I am taking a Visual Basic Intro course and noticed that VB 2005 Express does not support OS X. Is there an alternative, such as X-Code, NetBeans, BlueJ, etc that might substitute? Since I have two computers at home I would prefer not to limit myself to the university labs and their hours. Mainly, I need something that could transfer between the two programs and have a similar interface. VB 2005 Express is used class. Thanks

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

have you tried running a virtual machine (parallels or vm ware fusion) with windows xp/vista?

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Visual Basic is Windows only. The closest thing on the Mac is RealBasic, but the two implementations are not directly compatible with each other...

If you really have to use VB, then your best bet is via Parallels, Fusion or Boot Camp.

Personally, I'd avoid both like the plague, but that's another story.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The only option is Mono or as stated above running some form of Windows.

5. ksd20039 thread starter macrumors newbie

That was suggested by the professor. But I don't have those programs, nor a a copy of XP. The only copy of Windows I have is Win2000. I will work at the labs for now. This course is required for my minor so there is no alternative.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can run Windows 2000 in VMWare.

7. ksd20039 thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked at Mono and may consider using it. I am considering Parallels, but mostly I just want to run some Win apps. I haven't used Windows regularly since 2003 and have no plans to start again. Thanks guys.

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Find out if you can get Windows/Fusion/Parallels cheaper through your university. I know Fusion was only $40 for me, and Windows is also much cheaper with the student discount.